Thursday, May 12, 2011

What if................

My thoughts of late have been drawn to grace.  The grace that God gives and I accept so eagerly.  Grace gets me through the day.  When I fall on my face before the Bestower, I plead for forgiveness, mercy and grace. I freely receive this wonderful gift, I feel at peace.  Perhaps not all has changed, but I am changed.  It is grace that changes me.  I remember an old hymn, "Grace, grace, God's grace, grace that is greater than all my sin".

Although I happily receive grace, do I give grace?  I know the Giver of grace, I do not have to worry about not having enough to share.  His supply is endless.  I am eager to receive, yet I am sometimes slow to impart.  I meet people everyday who so desperately need the grace I take for granted.  The guy who cuts me off in traffic, the person whose office is next to mine, the check out lady, the boss, my child's teacher, my child, my friend, my husband and the list goes on and on.

My daughter recently had an assignment at school.   They were to give a speech about something that changed their life.  She was so moved by the stories of those in her class, kids who have dealt with suicide of a parent, the death of a sibling, drug addiction by those they loved, serious illness of a parent and not knowing if that parent would live, those living with someone other than their parents and how they got there.  All of this in one middle school class!  We are a people in need of grace!

What if I were to share grace with everyone I encounter today? What if I gave grace to my husband and children?   What if I responded in love to those who share an unkind word or gesture?  What if I granted  grace to the repairman who is at my house again?  What if I not only shared grace, I shared the true Giver of Grace?

But to each one of us grace was given according to the measure of Christ's gift.                     Ephesians 4:7

4 comments:

  1. As Pastor Barry reminded us a few months ago that we should pray for Grace daily, I too have been focused on daily receiving Grace from God and in turn pouring it back out to others. I always try to remember when someone hurts me, I do not know where that person comes from or their pain. Hurting people hurt people. Thank you for this beautiful reminder and encouragement to share grace and the true Giver of Grace with others. Grace, Grace, more Grace thank you for keeping this before me as I seek Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fact that the grace we are given is according to the MEASURE OF CHRIST's GIFT- which is abundant- I'm so glad it is not a grace based on what we 'might need' or what is calculated-- Christ's gift of life is never ending and sooo sacrificial and so the grace we have to share with others is the same!

    Thank you for this wonderful sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you not doing the blogathon anymore? I was looking forward to reading more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope to start posting again this week. Was unable to blog this past week. Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete