Tuesday, June 14, 2011

I Love VBS

I am working at our Vacation Bible School this week.  Whew it is only Tuesday and I am exhausted!  This is my first year at our new church for VBS and it is running like a well oiled machine.  I am having a great time with my second grade group and this is the first time my daughter and I have worked together.  It is proving to be a great experience.

I love the week of VBS!  As a pastor's wife I have done everything from being the coordinator of the week to being a crafts teacher, Bible story leader, refreshment helper and everything in between.  This week I am a guide that gets my students from place to place.  It is non stop from beginning to end, but well worth it.

I have also been thinking about VBS weeks of the past.  When I was a kid, there were no elaborate decorations, just a few pictures on the wall and snacks were packaged cookies and a different color of kool-aid each day.  I remember making a pig from a bleach bottle as a craft.  VBS has certainly changed over the years.  I love the decorations as much as the kids do.  I particularly remember one year when our theme was the ocean and our children's minister covered the fellowship hall floor with sand!  Yes there was sand everywhere and  some of the church members were not quite as excited as the kids!  Our snacks have come along way too, including blue jello served in fish tanks, trail mix has been camel fodder, everything has a theme.

VBS has certainly evolved, but one thing has remained the same.  The purpose of VBS is to share Christ's love with children.  Our verse this week is:
"So faith comes from what is heard, and what is heard comes through the message of Jesus Christ."    Romans 10:17

Do you love VBS?  Are you helping at your church this year?  What is your favorite VBS memory?


8. I Heart VBS

1 comment: