Monday, July 18, 2011

Encouragement


What does it mean to be an encourager?  What does encouragement look like?  For me encouragement comes in many different forms.  There are times when a genuine smile from a perfect stranger provides encouragement.  Other times encouragement comes in the form of an unexpected card or note, a thoughtful gesture from a friend.  This morning encouragement came in the form of an email, I didn't win anything, although that might be nice, it was in someways just an acknowledgement, yet it provided great encouragement to me.


World English Dictionary


encourage  (ɪnˈkʌrɪdʒ) [Click for IPA pronunciation guide]
— vb
1.to inspire (someone) with the courage or confidence (to dosomething)
2.to stimulate (something or someone to do something) byapproval or help; support



Encouragement provides a boost of energy.  It motivates me to not just carry on but to excel, to put forth my very best.   It gives courage perhaps where courage was lacking, it gives me strength to persevere in a tough situation.  All of that comes from just a smile, a kind word, an acknowledgement of a job well done.  When I realize what encouragement does for me, I want to give that to someone else.  Encouragement inspires me to be a encourager!

Is there someone you can encourage today?  An out of the blue post on their social media page, an impromptu email.  Or perhaps you want to go the extra mile, what about sending someone "snail" mail.  I just love going to my mailbox and finding a card from someone.  It shows me they not only thought of me, they took the time to pick out a card, write on it, find my address, get a stamp and get it to the mailbox.  (OK can you tell I like to get real mail, I am going to get off my soapbox now).   What about a note left on a co-workers desk thanking them for their help?  What about baking a little something for your neighbor, or perhaps just a smile to someone who is having a rough day?  How can you be an encourager, it doesn't take a big budget, just a heart that is willing to be a blessing to those around us.  Take the time to be an encourager today and you just might end up being the one encouraged.


A great ecard from DaySpring!  (Just saying!  A little help to get you started.)

Therefore encourage one another and build up one another, just as you also are doing.   1 Thessalonians 5:11 

1 comment:

  1. Encouragement is almost a lost art, I loved this post, thank you xx
    In His joy,
    C

    ReplyDelete