Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Road Trips

I never really understood the story of Abraham and Issac.  How could Abraham place Isaac on that altar?  Then I spent ten hours in the car with my nineteen year old son, just ME and HIM.   I am starting to think it could happen.  Just kidding, really I am!

We followed Mr. Wonderful for those ten hours to our vacation destination.  I must admit that we had so much fun.  We laughed, not just a chuckle but a side splitting OK we are gonna wreck belly laugh.  We listened to some Hall and Oats, Paul Simon and I don't even remember who else all the while singing, me off key and him sounding pretty good.  He introduced me to music from Sojourn Church, where he sometimes attends, amazing.

He asked me to share my testimony and stories from my childhood.  Not necessarily things that we haven't shared before but this time it was shared between two adults.  He shared some of his plans for the future, I listened not to the unrealistic dreams of a child but to the hopes of a man, a man trying to discern God's will for his life.

I would like to say we didn't argue in those hours, but indeed we did, hence the reference to Abraham and Isaac.  I sometimes wonder if it is because we are so different or so alike.  Or perhaps because we are now two adults with differing opinions on a subject, either way that too will be a memory of this trip.  In just a few days my son will leave and head on a road trip of his own, his car is already packed, he will drive eleven hours and join his friends for his second year of Bible College.  I am not sure if I will see him again before Thanksgiving, so I will think often of our road trip in the next few months and hope that when he hears the song "Africa" he will smile and remember it too.





www.galatians513.net.png




http://www.galatians513.net/2011/07/family-in-faith-friday-week-1/


graceimp.png






4 comments:

  1. What an awesome post! As the mom of a 6year old and a 2 year old, it's hard to remember that this time is fleeting and the day will come when this drive may be me with my children. Thank you for sharing and thanks for joining the Family in Faith bloghop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the encouragement! It is true what "they" say, enjoy today because tomorrow they are gone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Susan,
    So nice to meet you here in blogland. A very sweet and precious post about your time with your grown up son. These are sweet, precious, and few times, a grace full of memories to be savored in a MOM's heart for years to come!

    May your son have a safe journey, and may his Mom have a peaceful heart to go along with it!!
    Nellie

    He is a very nice looking young man as well,
    know you are proud of him!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a precious post, Susan! I have a 20-year-old son and an 18-year-old son--one on both sides of your boy!

    The conversations we have with these young men now are very different from the conversations of their childhoods, aren't they? No less precious--in some ways, maybe even more precious! But what a gift to have that undisturbed time together.

    Thank you so much for linking this to Grace Imparted! It's so nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete