Wednesday, August 24, 2011

I've Got My Martha On

Yes, I've got my Martha on and no my house isn't spotless. Although that would be nice, but the cleaning fairies haven't shown up yet.

We are all familiar with the story of Mary and Martha.  There has been almost as much written on them as there has been about the Proverbs 31 mom, and I have my own thoughts about these two ladies.  But today I am not thinking about personality types, or even the content of the conversation, but the conversation itself.

But Martha was distracted with much serving, and she approached Him and said, "Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to serve alone?  Therefore tell her to help me."  Luke 10:40  (my own emphasis)
 Thinking about this exchange I am struck with the boldness with which Martha addresses Jesus.  He was a an honored guest in her home, verse 39 says that Mary was listening to His words, so He was obviously speaking during this time and yet Martha interrupts  Jesus with a question that is accusing of his character in front of the other guests, "Don't you care?"!   I almost hold my breath that she would dare to speak to Jesus like this, and then she proceeds with telling Him what to do.  Martha tells Jesus what to do!  How dare she!

I have had several prayer requests of late that have been heavy on my heart.  I have approached the Throne of Heaven often with these burdens, but as I think of these prayers I start to realize just how much my conversations with Jesus have been like that of Martha.  My request begins with a confrontation, not even taking the time to acknowledge who Jesus is and what He has blessed me with, I barge right in and begin to tell Him what the problem is, sometimes even asking if He cares. As I think about this I realize that I didn't even pause,  I proceeded to tell Him what the best way to answer this prayer would be,(now I always end with the appropriate "They Will Be Done" just so it does not seem like I am telling Him what to do and I can feel all spiritual about it). Did I interrupt Him when He would have spoken to me?   Yes, I must admit I have had my Martha on!

Today as I approach Jesus, it will be as an honored guest in my home.   I will acknowledge who He is and what He has done.  I will share my heart humbled by His presence, I will not tell Him how to respond, but I will willingly accept His perfect will for my life and those I love.


imgres.jpg


(I find it interesting that the Model Prayer follows this passage.)




2 comments:

  1. Wow this was amazing!!!! I loved your insights into this verse and the context of the passage as a whole. I've read this and spoken on these scriptures many times- but have NEVER seen it in the light you have shown it in today- I'm truly convicted!!! I too want to honor Him for who He is and for what He has done!!

    EXCELLENT!! thank you for sharing this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been nominated for the Liebster Award== you can go to my blog to see what it is all about.

    ReplyDelete