Monday, August 8, 2011

Transformers

I love transformations.  The blog world is filled with them, there are "Transformation Tuesdays", "Power of Paint Parties" and on and on all dedicated to changing things.  My friend Jeanni and her husband transformed two houses from unlivable to beautiful.  Mr. Wonderful recently painted our bedroom and it made quite a transformation.  I could spend more time than I should perusing pictures and stories of things that have been transformed.  Oh and the TV shows dedicated to people's transformations.  The only "Biggest Loser" show I really like is the one where they do the total makeovers, amazing!   Although not my favorites the Transformers movies are always popular with my guys.  It seems that as a people we are intrigued with transformations.

Paul speaks to transformations in the book of Romans.
And do not be conformed to this world but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.                                      Romans 12:2
I don't know about you, but being given the option of being a "conformer" or a "transformer" I will choose transformer every time.  What does a transformer look like, how does one achieve transformation?  Romans 12:1 speaks to the body and presenting it as a living sacrifice holy and acceptable to God, but the transformation referred to here occurs in the mind.  It comes about by the renewing of our minds, and that only occurs through the reading of God's word.

I have a whole mental list of things that I wish I could do just one time and they never have to be done again.  Things like cleaning the oven, ironing, cleaning my closet,  filling up my car with gas,  oh and going to the dentist, no offense Dr. Perkins, but if I could go to the dentist one time and be good for life that would be awesome.  But unfortunately these things among a multitude of others have to be done again and again, so it is with renewing our minds.  This is not a one and done thing, we have to continually renew our minds.  We cannot read God's Word once and have it all, we cannot just read it every now and then, we have to be renewed on a regular basis.  If we do not renew the result is conformation of our minds, we begin to look, act and talk like the rest of the world.  We no longer prove to the world what is good, acceptable and perfect will of God because we have been conformed, we are just like them.  Conformaty isn't something we choose, it is a result of what happens when we choose not to renew our minds. If I chose not to go to the dentist, or care for my teeth in anyway I would probably loose them or they would certainly be a mess.  I didn't start out by saying I want to loose my teeth, I just neglected them, it was the result.  The same is true of my mind, I may not start out by saying I want to be a conformer of this world, but when I neglect my mind by not reading the Word of God  it is the end result.

Lately when I look in the mirror I have been asking myself, "Are you a conformer or a transformer?"  I want to be a TRANSFORMER.  Which are you?






No comments:

Post a Comment