Thursday, August 11, 2011

What if................

Six little letters.  Only fifteen points in a game of Scrabble, yet it seems it is the "what ifs" of life that sometimes not only rob our joy, but eat us alive. How is it that satan can introduce those two small words and send us on a journey of  doubt and fear?



What if.....

  • the air conditioner is broken
  • I make the wrong decision
  • my child doesn't make the team
  • they don't like me
  • we don't have the money
  • it is CANCER
  • me or my spouse lose our job
  • they divorce
  • my kid messes up
  • I mess up
  • my parent dies
  • I fail
  • the stock market crashes
  • the government fails.
The list of "what ifs" is endless.  There is no end because really there is no beginning.  We allow satan to sidetrack us with thoughts of things that have yet to occur and truly may never happen.  I like to have a plan, I have even gone so far as to plan for something in case the "what if" comes to pass,  I will be ready.  Now some of you are saying it is good to have a plan, but if that plan doesn't include trusting in God, then the plan is no good.   I have wasted precious time and energy worrying about a plan for something that may not even come to pass, then what am I really ready for?  

What are your "what ifs"  for today?  The only plan that is a good plan is to commit whatever might  be bothering you to the Lord and leave it there.  God loves us and cares for what is bothering us, yet He desires for us to rest and trust in Him.  

casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you.  1 Peter 5:7
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made know to God.  Philippians 4:6
Trust in the Lord forever, for in God the Lord, we have an everlasting Rock.  Isaiah 26:4 

These are just a few verses God uses in my life when "what if" hits, what does He use to comfort and speak to you?

Linking up with Family in Faith Friday.

6 comments:

  1. Philippians 4:6 is one of my steady verses for comfort. Recently, I have been playing that "what if" game and it allows fear to creep in and I found myself almost paralyzed. Thanks for this post! Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the part of being paralyzed! It is amazing how quickly it can happen. Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent word!!! The "What ifs" and "if only" syndromes will rob us of all joy in life!! What a great reminder- thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. After reading this, I began to ponder the positive "What If's." For instance, "What if my children turn their hearts to the things of God?" "What if I gave all of me to the God and His transforming work?" Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thought provoking! It's probably the 'What Ifs' that keep us motivated.

    We have a link-up party going on - Tea Time Thursdays @ Kreative Korner. I would really appreciate if you'd link up some of your awesome posts there. Hope to see you at the party.

    http://tanyaanurag.blogspot.com/2011/08/tea-time-thursdays-4.html

    ReplyDelete