Wednesday, September 14, 2011

"Unbroken" a Book Review

I recently finished "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand.  Mr. Wonderful recommended this book after he finished it earlier in the year, but I kept dragging my feet on reading it.  Now I must admit that my reading taste is light and somewhat cheesy at times.  A little conflict is not too bad, but nothing significant.  "Shawshank Redemption" is Mr. Wonderful's favorite movie, when watching the TV version I have to leave the room when people are mistreated.  I love historical fiction, but I had to leave the theatre during "The Patriot" when they burned the church.  I stood in the back where I couldn't see until it was over.  I read "Redeeming Love" by Francine Rivers and am still haunted by it.  I didn't even start "The Shack"!  Just couldn't.  I just feel I can watch the nightly news and see people who experience these horrors in real life, I do not want to read about it.

All of that is to say why it took me so long to pick up the book.  Mr. Wonderful had used it as an illustration for forgiveness so I knew the premise.  That and of course I  had heard of Louie Zamperini, so I knew it turned out OK.  But I also knew he was tortured in prison camp and I wasn't sure I wanted to read about that experience.  This was based on Mr. Zamperini's life, this was not fiction, this was the stuff I see on the news.  So after months of thinking about reading it, I finally picked it up.   "Unbroken" is a truly wonderful read.  It is not a Christian book, yet it is about a man who was able to forgive because he discovered forgiveness in Christ. It is about overcoming in spite of circumstances in your life.  It is truly inspiring!  I would recommend this book to anyone, those who remember the Second World War, and those of us who have just read about it.  This book makes not only that time in history very real, but also shows how a personal relationship with Christ can make very real changes in your life.




By the way, I left Louie on the boat for over a week before I pick up the book again, because I knew what was coming!



2 comments:

  1. This sounds like an amazing book- I definitely want to read it. Thank you for recommending it!! Also, it was a nice touch to see the video clip about the book- makes me want to dash out and pick myself up a copy RIGHT AWAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have been looking for my next read, and i think i found it. Thanks Gay!

    ReplyDelete