Wednesday, January 2, 2013

New Beginnings

Happy New Year!  Ok, I am a day late but Mr. Wonderful and I enjoyed a date day together yesterday so there was no time to blog.   We had lunch and then went to see Les Miserables.  It was a great movie, but take tissues, I didn't and let's just say my sleeve was wet by the time it was over.

I love new beginnings!  I love the start of a new year, it just seems so full of promise and hope.  It is a time to let go of disappointments of the past and look with anticipation to the future.  It is a time to evaluate self and make some changes.  It is a time to evaluate my home and how it can better function not only for my family but as a welcoming place of hospitality to others.  It is time to clean out closets and get rid of what is no longer useful.  A time to look at things with a fresh eye and make some changes, yes I love a new year!

I think I have mentioned before, I am a list maker so I guess that is why I enjoy making New Year's resolutions.  It is another list!  This year I decided to make a list of ten things to work on, some personal, some financial and some spiritual.  I am going to cutesy my list up and tape it to the inside of my calendar and break it down by month.  In years past I have made mental goals, written lists on scrap paper and within a few months, perhaps sometimes weeks the list is forgotten.  This year I am going to be intentional!  I am going to hold myself accountable and see just how many of these goals I can mark off by December 31, 2013.  A few of the goals I have written:


  • 1.  Read the Bible through this year.  I have done this in the past choosing a different version to read through each year, but I haven't  for a couple of years.  This year I am using the Chronological Bible in the NLT.  I ran across it not long ago when cleaning off a shelf and realized I had never read through it.
  • 2.  I am going to read two books a month, I know pretty general right.  I used to read a lot and then life and kids and busyness happened and I have gotten out of the habit, opting mostly for magazines and other things that didn't require a commitment.  If I get going and read more that is great, but at least two books,  novels, self help, Bible commentaries whatever strikes my fancy.  
  • 3.  I am going to blog on a regular basis, and for me that means at least one post a week, not worrying about others reading it but just for the pure enjoyment and since of accomplishment I feel when I hit publish.
  • 4.  I am going to COMPLETE at least one creative project a month.  I love Pinterest and I love looking at projects, but sometimes I get so caught up in the looking that I forget to get anything done,  so one a month it is.
  • 5.  I am going to mail, yes snail mail at least five cards of encouragement to others each month.  This will include birthday cards.  Who doesn't love to go to the mailbox and pull out a card?  


Yep 2013 is going to be a great year!  Will you join me in living intentionally and perhaps this year completing the list?  The only thing better than making a list is crossing off the things when they are done!  What are your goals for 2013?  I would love to hear from you.

12 comments:

  1. Yes, it's going to be a great year! Your goals sound great! So excited to see you're blogging again! :) Happy New Year! ... Oh! Hubby and I went to see L'es Miserables too ... we didn't like it... LOL! I am sure I'll love the book (My brother loves it) but the movie was too disturbing for us (the first half) ... I guess we're in that stage of life where everything leaves to big of an impression on us. Maybe because we have little girls? Who knows! I did love the acting and singing (Eponine was amazing!) :) I look forward to watching "The Hobbit"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paloma, Daughter saw the Hobbit and liked it, but she is big Lord of Rings fan. Le Miz was dark, but the story of redemption was also moving to me. Thanks for the comment you are awesome!

      Delete
  2. How neat to see you have a blog. I started keeling one 8 years ago for our first adoption trip. Then once we were home relatives insisted I keep posting. The weird part is having friends who live in the same city call and tell me it's time to update.....
    Looking forward to your future posts....
    We saw Parental Guidance last night and thought it was great. Laughing and crying in the same movie! But mostly laughing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheri, I have heard that Parental Guidance is great, probably won't get "Wonderful" to that one! lol. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  3. I wish you the best in achieving your 2013 goals!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny, thank you so much for the encouragement and visiting! Come back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading your goals for 2013. They are seemingly so simple, yet as women we know we often get sidetracked taking care of life. I love the sending out cards every month. I'm going to start doing that. When I was fighting cancer - 2012 - the cards I received meant so much to me. Texts were impersonal, phone calls wonderful, but the cards I could keep re-reading for encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marla, thanks for the visit. I love getting cards and feel it is almost a ministry of encouragement to send them. God bless you in 2013.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like you have some great plans for 2013. I especially like the one about mailing cards of encouragement. I have just about every card and letter I've received. It is so encouraging to go back and read over them.
    I'm visiting you from Imparting Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Patti, it is nice to have you. I agree that reading old cards not only reminds me of what I might have been going through but the fact that God brought me through it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan, great post!
    Thank you for sharing and inspiring!
    All best wishes for the new year,
    Paulette

    ReplyDelete
  9. Paulette, thanks for dropping by, and for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete