Saturday, February 2, 2013

The Dreaded Grocery Shopping


Does Proverbs 31 ever intimidate you, me too.  That girl had her stuff together and she didn't even have Pinterest!  Even at 40 something (ok, the back side of 40 something) and 25 plus years of marriage I am still trying to get my stuff together.  It seems I am constantly tweaking, and trying to find things that work best for me and my family.  Occasionally I find something that is just right and that is true of this Shopping List I found at Time Warp Wife.

Click here for Free Printable

I use this for all of my grocery shopping needs.  Instead of the date I put the name of the store that I will be going to purchase these particular items.  I go to Sam's every two to three weeks, so on my Sam's list I put the items that I regularly shop for there as I need them, when I am ready to to go there I just pull the list out of my binder.

I keep a separate list for my local grocery store and when their sale bill comes out I put together a list for what I need, I do shop weekly at the grocery store.

Finally I keep one last list for Wal-mart/Target.  This is for items that are generally cheaper there, but I do not buy in bulk.  This shopping trip is usually every couple of weeks, if I plan well.

I also participate in Bountiful Baskets Food Co-Op every two weeks for produce.  It is cheaper than the grocery, but you do not get to choose your items. We have only been participating for a month but have found it to be beneficial for our family not only financially but also eating more fresh fruits and vegetables as well as trying new things.

Do you have a favorite way to grocery shop?  I guess my favorite way would be not at all, but since is must be done, might as well be organized!


TheBetterMom.com
Inspire Me Monday at Create With Joy

6 comments:

  1. I personally love Plan to Eat. It's an online meal planning tool. It stores all my recipes, and I drag and drop them into a calendar for meal planning. Then it generates a shopping list from the meal plan that I can divide into stores and that I can add to or delete from. It also keeps a running list of "pantry items". It has made meal planning/grocery shopping so much simpler for me the last 2 years.

    Thanks for sharing your wisdom Gay! I really enjoy reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mandy, for the encouragment and the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second Mandy on the Plan to Eat site. It has made meal planning super easy for me and I love that I can pin the site to my phone's start screen so I can shop from my phone. I can't count the number of times I have gotten to the store to realize I left the list at home!! Now, that is no longer an issue. A feature I really like is being able to set up the shopping list according to the aisles in the store so I am not constantly backtracking for items.

    So happy you are writing again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to have to check out Plan to Eat!

      Thanks for the encouragement Kendra!

      Delete
  4. When my children were still at home, I made menu lists for two weeks. I had a spiral notebook and divided each page into days of the week with the day's menu, the next section was activities for that day and the last section I wrote ingredients needed for the day's menu. From that section I made my grocery list. Of course, that was in the 70's and 80's...before I bought my first PC....but it worked! Now my children are grown and my husband has gone to be with the Lord and my meal planning and cooking has changed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And; also, I am so glad to hear that I am not the only woman that Proverbs 31 intimidates!

    ReplyDelete