Saturday, April 20, 2013

I Miss Mayberry

I grew up in Mayberry, OK not really but close.  My mom was able to stay at home off and on during my childhood.  We played outside for hours on end, with only being checked on occasionally.  I walked to my dad's business across town after school with my brother while we both were in elementary school.  My mom made most of my clothes,  we grew a garden and we had a hot dinner every night on the table. If and when I saw the news, I felt so untouched by anything bad that I might happen to hear, my world was small and safe and secure.



 I never worried about a bad person coming into my school, I never remember seeing a police officer on campus during my school years.  I generally felt that adults were to be trusted, that gatherings in a community were times of celebration, that going to the movie was a special treat.  I didn't think about gunmen entering my school, about bombs going off at events or being shot while visiting a movie theater.  I miss Mayberry.




I realize the world is a smaller place for my children than it was for me.  With cable TV, internet, social media, just to mention a few things in the vast world of technology, my kids are more aware of the world, both the good and the bad.  Oh, my children aren't little anymore, from sixteen to twenty-three they are young adults, but I hope that my husband and I were able to give them a little bit of Mayberry in their childhood.  But more than anything, I hope that  we instilled in them the knowledge of the only One that can truly provide peace, comfort and security no matter what is going on in the world.


John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.


Continuing to pray for those is Boston, MA and West, TX and continuing to trust in the only One worthy, my Heavenly Father.



Weekend Bloggy ReadingMonday2 Make the Scene Monday #71
Modest-Mom-blog-button-copy


No comments:

Post a Comment