Saturday, April 6, 2013

My Garden Spot

Gardening is such a wholesome hobby.  There is something about being outside in the sun getting sweaty and your hands dirty,  pleasure is found.  Mr. Wonderful and I enjoy working in the yard together, if time allows on the weekends, we usually reserve at least a half a day to do yard work, including maintenance and if I am lucky a project or two.    One of the hardest things to give up when we moved to the "burbs" was a yard.  This is the smallest yard we have ever had since we have been blessed with owning a house, but we work hard to make the most of our green space.

Grandmother's Garden

I really don't have much of a green thumb, my grandmother could grow anything anywhere.  We often kidded that she could put a stick in the ground and get it to grow.  She always had beautiful flowers and   a few vegetables as space would allow, at times sharing a garden with a neighbor. She was "green" long before being green was in, she used organic material to fertilize and improve her soil and shared starts instead of buying.   When spring comes and I get the gardening bug, I always think of her, and she continues to inspire me even though she is in heaven now.

My friend Kelly Werkmeister always has the most beautiful gardens including flowers, herbs and edibles.  I haven't visited in years, but I know they are still worthy of a spread in Southern Living.  She has achieved Master Gardener status!
My little spot of herbs!

Have you ever wondered why God put Adam and Eve in a garden?  I mean they could be anywhere, the beach, a rocky mountain retreat.  You might say that they needed the space to grow food, but I would argue that God was feeding them at that point and He certainly could have provided no matter where they were, remember manna.   I don't know of scripture that backs this up, but there is a peace that comes in a beautiful garden!  I certainly enjoy a cup of coffee and a peaceful morning in our yard.  There is something about being surrounded by flowers, trees, a few birds that frequent the feeder, even a hummingbird every now and then as well as a couple of squirrels.

My place to enjoy coffee!


I don't have the green thumb of my grandmother, or the beautiful yard of my friend Kelly, but I enjoy the small space that God has allowed us to have at this time.  What do you enjoy spending time doing on your weekends?


I Come To The Garden Alone Hymn

I come to the garden alone
While the dew is still on the roses
And the voice I hear falling on my ear
The Son of God discloses.

Refrain

And He walks with me, and He talks with me,
And He tells me I am His own;
And the joy we share as we tarry there,
None other has ever known.

He speaks, and the sound of His voice,
Is so sweet the birds hush their singing,
And the melody that He gave to me
Within my heart is ringing.

Refrain

I’d stay in the garden with Him
Though the night around me be falling,
But He bids me go; through the voice of woe
His voice to me is calling.

Refrain

I Heart Nap Time
{nifty button}

9 comments:

  1. your space is gorgeous. The photo is amazing too - it is what inspired me to pop over from Nifty Thrifty things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping in. I'll be sure to stop by your blog soon.

      Delete
  2. Love this! I'd like to invite you to link up to Saturday Spotlight @ Angels Homestead. The party is open from 12 am Saturday, until 12 midnight Wednesday.

    http://angelshomestead.com/saturday-spotlight-11/

    Hope to see you there :)

    April

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the visit and the invite. I'll be sure and stop in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your yard looks so nice! What a great place to relax and enjoy the warm weather. Stopping by from the Nifty Thrifty Things party. Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know you didn't mean to make me cry, but that was my father's favorite hymn. We played it at his funeral and I haven't thought much about it in a long time.

    I have been working a lot in my garden and will be doing a lot of planting next weekend. I know the words of the hymn will be in my mind as God and my father are beside me.

    THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carol I am so glad you have precious memories of your dad. It It is amazing how many times I remember the old hymns with fondness. Enjoy your garden projects.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's probably what I miss the most of being a homeowner... My garden! I do have a green thumb! just like my dad! And yes... I often think about our "beginnings on earth" and how gardening is actually the oldest profession on earth! :) I love working outside and with plants, seeing how they grow and just learning from it all... :) Beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete