Thursday, May 30, 2013

Handwritten Recipes and Salsa

One of my favorite things ever is handwritten recipes.  I was recently looking for a particular recipe, my recipes are a MESS, and I ended up sorting through several.  I enjoyed finding numerous handwritten recipes, some written by me and others written by family and friends.  (If you share a recipe you move from acquaintance to friend quickly!)   Today we put a recipe on the computer and either print or just send via email.  That is great and sooooo much easier, but it really just isn't the same.



Handwritten recipes are like photos, what memories they evoke.  Looking at each recipe I would remember the person that gave it to me, often times remembering when I ate it and requested a copy. I have recipes written on cute recipe cards, notebook paper, backs of envelopes or other various things.   I love seeing the different writing, different abbreviations or ingredients.  Anyone remember oleo?   As a pastor's wife in the south I have eaten at many potlucks and you could always get the best recipes.  Striving  to eat a little healthier as a family, I don't often make many of these,  but boy were they good.

Some of my favorites are from my mom, I even have one framed hanging in my laundry room.  I know that I will always treasure these, they are usually recipes for dishes I remember eating in my childhood.



In honor of the hand written recipe I decided to share one with you today.  This recipe was given to me by a church friend and I have tweaked it just a bit.  This is our favorite salsa, we make it at least a couple of times each month.  Darling Daughter makes it from memory and doesn't measure, hers is always better than mine!  It can be doubled for a party, but doesn't keep well past a few days in the frig.


I hope you enjoy this family favorite and if you make it you remember this handwritten recipe with fondness.  I hope it has stains and splatters from lots of enjoyment!


Linking with friends at Serenity NowLiving Well Spending LessIt's OverflowingToo Much TimeModest MomGrowing HomeThistlewood Farms

4 comments:

  1. This reminds me exactly of recipes in my own collection. Handwritten in slips of paper from my mom when I was a student learning to cook for myself. Reminiscing now :)) Hopping from Serenity Now weekend bloggy reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by, my favorites are ones that have notes to me written on them!

      Delete
  2. I would love for you to share and link up at my weekly TGIF Link Party if you haven't already this week. The party is open every Thursday night and closes Wednesday's at midnight. http://apeekintomyparadise.blogspot.com/. AND starting Wednesday June 4th I will be hosting a Wordless Wednesday link party. Hope you will join us! Plus, save 50% off sponsorships on A Peek Into My Paradise on sale until June 7th; use the code Bobby23Bday.
    Have a wonderful week!
    Hugs, Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Cathy for the info, I will be sure to check it out! Thanks for visiting Quite Simply.

    ReplyDelete