Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Hospitality, Are You Gonna Live It



Even as I heard the words coming out of my mouth my mind was screaming, STOP.  I had more reasons not to, than to do it, yet I just couldn't stop myself.  You remember the cartoon with the devil on one should and the angel on the other, but is wasn't a devil, it was that inner voice saying, "Are you going to follow what you teach?"


I hear myself saying why don't you guys come over tomorrow night about six,  we would love to have you.  Now it wasn't that I didn't want to have them, but my mind was definitely screaming excuses as to why this wasn't a good idea.  You see we had just finished a mini remodel of a bathroom.  Now I don't know about you, but when we are working on a project the rest of the house looks like a tornado just blew through.

Papers on counter, dishes in sink, you get the picture, I will spare you the rest of the house!



My son came in for the weekend.  Always a blessing, but a little messy in the wake.
Yeah, enough said!



And now on the the big one, we are having our roof replaced.  The workers were scheduled to arrive at 7:00 the morning they were coming for dinner.  This is a major blessing, the insurance is paying because of some wind damage we received a few months ago, but a huge mess in spite of the blessing.
 Front of house!
Back of house!

Not exactly company ready!



When I teach on hospitality I always point out that it is not about your house, how well it is decorated, how current it is, or about the nice things you have, (or if you are having your roof replaced).  It is about enjoying fellowship with believers, encouraging those who are having a difficult time, or sharing with unbelievers.  I truly believe this is so much better in your home than it is at a restaurant.  So borrowing from Experiencing God, I had a crisis of belief,  do I believe what I teach.   With the invitation issued and accepted it was time to jump into action. I pulled out and dusted off my "go to menu"  (I will have more to say about this in another post).  Tidied up and cleaned what I had time to, shopped for the food, cooked the meal and set the table with a little help from my family.

Ready for guests.


We had a great time of fellowship with friends from out of state that were only in town for a few days.  It was sweet to catch up and spend a few hours with them and that couldn't have happened in a restaurant.    But just so you know we had to talk a little louder over dinner because the roofers decided to work late, true story.



Linking with friends at Time Warp WifeHope in Every SeasonServing JoyfullySerenity NowModest Mom Blog


2 comments:

  1. Love the pictures! We are actively working on hospitality in our home right now. Big lessons to learn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, God continues to work on me!

      Delete