Monday, June 17, 2013

Replacing a Fence and Updating a Bookcase


Memorial Day weekend we replaced our back fence.  In the "burbs" you share fences on every side with a different neighbor, we had replaced the fence on the right last summer and now it was time to tackle the back.  Instead of hiring someone we decided to DIY it.   Mr. Wonderful and I started on Thursday taking the old fence down.  The fence was worn and due to some strong winds in the early spring was actually in danger of blowing completely down.


After the old fence was removed,   our son came home and helped the hubs start on the new one.  They worked all weekend, with the result being a beautiful new fence.




As I was working on getting the wood from the old fence stacked, I began to notice some great worn pieces that were in pretty good shape.  So whats a girl to do, but keep those for herself.  I saved several from the trash pile and my mind started rolling, you know that moment when the ideas come faster than you have  time to process.  This is usually when Mr. Wonderful starts to get worried, but he was busy with the new fence and didn't see my wheels spinning out of control.


I had a three shelf bookcase that needed a little update.  You know the web is full of pallet wood ideas, so I decided to use the wood from our fence in place of the pallet wood.  The first thing I did was pick out several pieces of wood and put a watered layer of paint on them.  I just used what I had in the garage and I think it ended up being white that was actually primer, a pinkish,  that was a freebie from Lowes and a blue-gray from my bedroom.


I just mixed half water and half paint, eyeballing it.  I used a sponge brush to wash it on the wood.  It just needed a slight hint of color that matched the aged look of the wood, so I didn't worry about how well they were covered.  They were then propped up in the sun to dry.

I removed the existing cardboard back of the bookcase and carried it to the garage.


The bookcase was then placed face down boards put on the back to make a random pattern with the painted wood and see just how many it would take.


Mr. Wonderful then cut each piece.  (I don't know if I have said it before, but the hubs is a perfectionist.)  I would have cut the first one then cut each one according to that piece, but Mr. Wonderful insisted that we would get better results if each one was measured and cut, so that is what we did.  After all the cutting, we nailed each one on the back of the bookcase.

This is the finished back without the shelves and I love the way it turned out.  It gave a big box store bookcase a more custom look.


 Here it is all finished and back in my craft area.  And to think it all started with a fence.  I still have a small pile of wood and the final side will be replaced this fall.  Lots more projects to come!

Linking with friends at Modest MomGrowing Home; Common GroundImparting GraceSerenity NowStone GableCreate with Joy

10 comments:

  1. Love this! I have tons of these same boards from fencing that fell after the last hurricane here. I'm trying to come up with ideas to use them. Thanks for the inspiration! Found you on Modest Monday. - Penny Lane @ SistersRaisingSisters.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping in. We need to share ideas! I will be visiting Sisters Raising Sisters. Have a great day.

      Delete
  2. This is so pretty! I love it ;)
    Jamie @ somuchbetterwithage.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie and thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. That looks beautiful! Great job! :) Aren't you happy for a perfectionist hubby though? :) My husband is kind of like Monk but toned down a bit and I love it... His organizational skills and tidiness make my life so much simpler! :) When he is around everything seems easier... clearer... My brain is a random mess! I sooo need him! :) LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paloma, and yes my projects are certainly better when hubby helps!

      Delete
  4. I love your book case!
    I'm actually taking down a fence just like that and am putting it up as my back porch ceiling! Aren't we cool!!??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, what an awesome idea. I know it will look great. We still have one side to go and our back porch is super small??????????????

      Delete
  5. This is really smart! What a great use for old fence boards. You're right: your bookcase now looks smashing!

    Thank you so much for joining Grace at Home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Richella for stopping by, it is a pleasure to have you visit Quite Simply.

    ReplyDelete