Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Fiesta Chicken Pasta

I love to try new recipes.  I pin them, get them from friends, or occasionally tear them out of magazines.  Recently I was cleaning out the basket where I keep magazines, books and various reading materials on my end of the love seat when I found a recipe that I pulled out of a magazine at the first of the year and I guess that is as far as it got, well it still looked pretty good and Darling Daughter, freshly back from her trip to Slovakia and desiring food with a little more flavor, agreed.



Fiesta Chicken Pasta

3 TBSP olive oil
2 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into pieces
1 TBSP minced garlic
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 TBSP cumin
1 TBSP chili powder
1 TBSP garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground red pepper
2 large red bell peppers, diced
2 large green bell peppers, diced
2 large yellow bell peppers, diced
2 large jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
6 Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 TBSP lime zest
1 pound hot cooked linguini noodles

1.  In a large Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium high heat.  Add chicken; cook for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.  Remove chicken and set aside.

2.  Add garlic; cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.  Add chicken broth, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, red pepper, and reserved chicken.  Bring to a simmer over medium heat.  Cook, covered for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add peppers, cook, uncovered for 5 minutes.  Add tomatoes, green onions, cilantro and lime zest, cook for 1 minute.  Add hot cooked pasta, tossing to combine.



Darling Daughter said it was a nice change, and the hubs said it was a keeper.  We enjoyed the fresh taste and although a little on the hot side, which we like, it was not heavy!  Have you tried a new recipe lately?

This recipe was torn from Southern Lady Magazine.  Although the recipe is not listed, it was taken from their January-February 2013 issue.  Sorry not to have a finished pic!  

4 comments:

  1. I am glad to hear you do like some spiciness in your food... Sometimes I cook something and I think I'd love to share it with others and then I wonder if they can handle any of the "heat" :) Good to know! Looks super colorful! Must have been yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, this looks good! Lots of ingredients, but it doesn't look hard to make. Thanks so much for sharing this at Grace at home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds yummy!! I just saved it into my Plan to Eat recipe list for later use. Paloma, I will take any "heat"ed recipes you would like to share!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks like a great way to use up summer produce - I might add some zucchini!
    blessings
    http://bit.ly/12mzd5l

    ReplyDelete