Tuesday, July 2, 2013

What's Love Got to do With It

Oh what's love got to do, got to do with it
What's love but a second hand emotion
What's love got to do, got to do with it
Who needs a heart
When a heart can be broken


Com'on now, sing it with me this time.  Repeat the chorus again!  This is me singing slightly louder this time and even more off key!  This is a Christian blog and now I have Tina Turner stuck in your head.  One last time. 


Ok, if you don't remember Tina Turner in the 80's maybe this post isn't for you.  What does love have to do with anything anyway?  If we risk love, can't our hearts just end up broken?




For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.   John 3:16.

This is the first Bible verse that many of us learned to recite.  I remember watching sports as a child, and it was almost like a game of "Where's Waldo" and finding the guy with the John 3:16 sign.  Do you remember him?  But have we really looked at that verse lately?  Read it again, what does it say?

Love has everything to do with it.    Not just love but "so love" .  I know there is a Greek or Hebrew word for this, but I am a simple minded person and have trouble remembering those words, therefore I just want us to think of "so love."  I can love without having a real relationship with the object of my love.   I can love Reece Cups, I can love that new book or movie.  I can even love a TV personality that I have never really met. Love is just an overused word that carries very little meaning.   But "so loved"   implies it is going to cost something.  "So loved" is willing to sacrifice, willing to give up something for the object of my love.

God "so loved" Tina Turner and her broken heart, God "so loved" my neighbor and their drug addicted son, God "so loved" the helpless,  God "so loved"  my friend struggling with depression,  God "so loved" the muslims that are deceived by darkness,  God "so loved" me!  Who do I "so love"?  Do I "so love" anyone outside of my family?  If indeed I have the love of Christ living in me should I not "so love" those who God so loves?  And who does God "so love".  Well the verse answers that for us, the world!



No comments:

Post a Comment