Thursday, December 5, 2013

Christmas Shoes


Ok, not really shoes but skates!  I mentioned to my friend Amanda, who is moving with her husband to the north east after Christmas to work in church planting, (Humble to Everett) that when she got  there I wanted her to look for an old set of ice skates and a wooden sled for me.  Well she said she saw a pair of ice skates at a local resale shop here.   What!?!  I live in the suburbs of Houston, I didn't even think of looking here!  I tried to call the resale shop to see if they still had them, but couldn't find a working number.  It ended up being a few days before I could get there and I just knew "my" skates would already be gone because I was sure that everyone was looking for a pair, I know when I get an idea I get a little crazed in my thinking.  This is Houston after all, how many people could be looking for ice skates.

I was taking Darling Daughter to her Wednesday night worship and I ran by the thrift shop.  Darling Daughter doesn't share my enthusiasm for my latest treasure hunt so she sat in the car.  I looked around and didn't see them, I spotted a few other things, but had to remind myself to focus, I promised that I would run in and out.  When I didn't spot them, I asked the lady working there and she said she sold them 10 minutes ago, seriously, my heart sank.  Then she said no maybe that was roller skates.  She told me where to look and they had not one, but two pair of skates.  I refrained from buying both and left  elated, I kid you not, I couldn't get home fast enough!

I added greenery and a big red bow and hung them by my front door.  Everyone had to walk to the front door to see them when they arrived home.  My family is used to my sense or lack there of, of treasure!  The hubby has brought me home not once but twice an old screen door.  I don't still have them, he refused to move one of them 1,000 miles when we moved to Texas.  Imagine! It takes diamonds to get some girls excited and then for  some of us, it is a pair of ice skates.  Still looking for the sled!


Joining friends at Living Well, Spending Less;  Imparting Grace; French Country CottageShabby Art Boutique

6 comments:

  1. I get excited about the same things! They look great! :) Happy December!
    Kim @ Exquisitely Unremarkable

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it fun to find the treasure. My daughters boyfriend stopping by and he had to come look too!

      Delete
  2. Hi Susan, Okay now I am on the hunt for a pair of skates :) When I was a young girl we use to ice skate everyday! I have the thought that in heaven I will once again skate and twirl. I really enjoyed your post and it's great idea for a wonderful Christmas/winter decoration.
    Blessings, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find your skates, it is fun to include things that remind us to reflect on happy memories!

      Delete