Wednesday, January 8, 2014

One of Those Days - Eat Cake

Ever have one of those days? You know the ones, your to do list is full and nothing goes the way you had planned. After being gone the week between Christmas and New Year I arrived home feeling as if I was already behind. Lots of laundry, cleaning and putting away Christmas decorations, and just the normal stuff of life. On our arrival we discovered a beloved church member had passed away. Tammy who coordinates our funeral meals, a meal provided after the service for the family, needed a few items and I volunteered to make a cake. Which just to be honest would be easier for me, no trip to the store, I already had everything I needed.

I got up early on Saturday morning, knowing that I was cutting it close and the cake would probably still be warm when I took it, but what is really wrong with warm chocolate cake. I had my coffee, and then mixed my cake and put it in the oven. While the cake was in the oven, I started the icing, the chocolate had to cool and then showered and dressed. The plan was while the cake was cooling to do a load of laundry, get my grocery list together so I could stop by there on my way home after the funeral, and finish the icing and ice at the last minute as I headed out the door. When the timer went off, I pulled out the cake and it didn't look quite right. Upon closer inspection, it looked dreadful. Are you kidding me, I have made this cake many times, what on earth!?! I looked back over the recipe and realized I had forgotten the baking soda! No time to make another cake, I rushed out the door stopped at the store and picked up a couple of cakes and headed to the church, and just to be honest somewhat embarrassed to be bringing store bought cake!

Trying to do it all sometimes gets the best of me. I realize I need to focus more on what I am doing in the present instead of all I need to get done. For me it really relates back to my mission statement for 2014, I need to slow down and simplify.

Well my family benefited from my baking mistake, since I had already started the icing, when I got home I made the cake correctly! I decided to share the recipe with you. This is a Mr. Food recipe from years ago, you remember him, "Oh, it's soooo good"!






The Best Chocolate Cake
3 cups AP flour
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 cups cold black coffee
2/3 cup vegetable oil
2 TBSP white vinegar
2 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 pan with non stick cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add the remaining ingredients and stir until well combined. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 40 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan.

Chocolate Frosting
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 cup milk
4 cups confectioners' sugar
2 tsp vanilla

In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the cocoa and stir constantly until smooth. Pour into a medium bowl and allow to cool. Add the milk and blend with mixer until smooth. Add the confectioners' sugar 1 cup at a time, blending well after each addition. Add the vanilla and beat on high speed until smooth and creamy. Spread over top of cake.


Linking with:  City FarmhouseImparting Grace: Thrifty Thursday; Create with Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment