Tuesday, January 14, 2014

The Purge 2014

I am getting a late start to the beginning of the year purge. It always make me feel great to clean out closets, files and cabinets to start the new year. I had a hard time getting motivated, in part because the weather has been rather dreary. But we had a beautiful weekend and this morning I have gone through files and pulled out all paperwork that isn't necessary to keep. I don't own a shredder, I have in the past but have yet to find one that is durable. So two or three times a year, I go through papers and take them to the local office supply store, for a couple of bucks I get everything shredded.


The cabinets are next. Even at three years, I have yet to find something I love for my pantry. It is small and is hard for me to keep organized, so I may put that off until I find a more functional solution, any suggestions? If my cabinets are full then it is time to purge and just to be honest they need a good cleaning! Any one else hate plastic cups that seem to accumulate or the plastic lids without bowls or vice versa.

No matter how often I clean and organize it always goes back to this!

Next up clothes, I really have no desire to have a closet full of clothes. I try to keep everything paired down to nothing more than what I need. Usually when I switch seasons I go through my closet and get rid of everything that I don't particularly like and is not necessary. I keep four pairs of jeans, two that can be worn with flats and two more that I have to wear a bit of a heal. With dress pants I keep about four pairs as well that cover the basic colors, including gray, black, brown and usually one additional color. I keep a small variety of dresses and skirts along with shirts and sweaters that can be worn interchangeably . Being a stay at home wife and mom and the fact that our weather is mild to hot with very few cold days allows me to maintain a scaled down wardrobe. When something comes in, usually something goes out. Although it isn't quite time to change seasons, which in Houston is adding in capri pants and sandals, although I could, 70s today, I am feeling motivated to go ahead and clean the master closet and purge the things that I don't love or enjoy wearing or need to keep until I find a replacement!

All of this is on my January to do list, I am almost finished with the paper! I have also cleaned the guest room closet. It seems to be a bit of a dumping ground and during Christmas it really got bad! When my son called at the last minute over the weekend to say that a friend needed to spend the night to catch an early flight out, I was embarrassed by that closet, just thankful the room itself was in good shape. That was all of the motivation I needed on Monday morning to jump in and get the closet cleaned. I am ready for the next guest, closet and all!



All of this is part of my ongoing desire to simplify. I have really found that the less I have, the less I have to clean and maintain and therefore is less stressful. I continue to desire a simple life as inspired by I Thessalonians 4:11 "........ that you also aspire to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to work with your own hands..........".



Linking with:  The Scoop 101Time Warp WifeThrifty Thursday; Imparting Grace

6 comments:

  1. I have the same bins in my pantry, and the same problem with it getting messy right away. The pantry is on my to-do list for this weekend actually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am working on it! Let me know what you decide on that works for you. Thanks for stopping in.

      Delete
  2. I also have a small pantry and have found that avoiding putting things into bins really helps it stay organized. If there's not an easy place to just toss something I have to take the time to place it where it belongs. If you're looking to utilize most of the height of the shelf you could try laying bins on their sides so that items can be stood upright inside and on top of them. Pantries always seem to take the most rearranging to make work, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the suggestions. I have picked up a few things and like it right now, but I am going to give it a couple of weeks to see if it is working! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I think it always makes us feel good to do a bit of purging and clearing out, plus it seems to build on itself and creates momentum to keep going. I have to stay constantly on keeping my pantry orderly but found an easy solution for creating more useable space. My pantry might be a bit bigger than yours, but it is in no way a large area. Here is a link to a post I did on organizing my pantry: http://cas-anoasisinthedesert.blogspot.com/2012/01/my-kitchen-pantry-from-pandemonium-to.html I still have to clean and purge periodically, but it has stayed so much nicer and is tons more functional since I did this. Maybe it could work for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, thanks so much for taking a few minutes to share your pantry and yes it is awesome. It gives me hope if you are still pleased after a couple of years!

      Delete