Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Red Velvet Cake

What could be more Valentine's "ish" than Red Velvet Cake? Maybe Red Velvet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting, uh yes!

My hubby is out of town this year so I didn't think I would be doing any baking. But my friend Cathy asked me and several others to bake a dessert for the teachers at her elementary school. I was quite excited for the opportunity. These cute liners came from Michael's.

I baked them this afternoon, the house smelled amazing. (and yes I sampled one, I had to make sure they were ok)

I have used this recipe for many years and wanted to share it with you. I hope you enjoy it as much as my family does!



Red Velvet Cake
1/2 Cup Coconut Oil (solid form)

1 1/2 Cups Sugar

2 Lg. Eggs

1 oz. Bottle of Red Food Coloring

1 tsp. Vanilla

2 1/3 Cups Sifted Flour

1/2 tsp. Salt

1 TBS Cocoa

1 Cup Buttermilk

1 TBS White Vinegar

1 tsp Baking Soda

Beat coconut oil at medium speed until fluffy; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add eggs, 1 at a time beating after each. On lowest speed of mixer add food coloring and vanilla.

Sift together sifted flour, salt, and cocoa in separate bowl.

Combine buttermilk, vinegar and soda in a liquid measuring cup. (This will bubble.)

Add flour mixture to sugar mixture, alternately with buttermilk mixture beginning and ending with flour mixture. When finished adding in flour and buttermilk beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Fill cup cake liners with approximately 1/3 cup of batter. Bake at 330 degrees for 18 minutes.



Cream Cheese Frosting
1 8 oz Pkg. Cream Cheese (softened)

1/2 Cup Butter (softened)

1 16 oz Pkg Powdered Sugar

1 tsp vanilla

Beat cream cheese and butter for 5 minutes scraping bowl a couple of times. Gradually add in powdered sugar beating at low speed until well blended; then add vanilla. Beat on high for 3 minutes.

After frosting cupcakes you can garnish with chopped pecans, but I just crumbled up one cupcake and sprinkled it on top!



This cupcake peeking through the butterfly cutout of this bag is for my special friend at school. I hope she likes it!


We Are That FamilyRaising Mighty ArrowsWise Woman; Imparting GraceThrifty ThursdayServing JoyfullyGraced SimplicityEat Sleep BeRaising Mighty ArrowsHomemakers ChallengeHope in Every SeasonCreate With Joy

4 comments:

  1. As a child Red Velvet Cake was my favorite! It was always what I requested for my birthday. This brought back memories. I never thought about cup cakes. I may try this. Thanks for sharing.

    Valenetine's Day: A Change in Perspective

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and I hope you do try it! It is a family favorite.

      Delete
  2. Oh man...red velvet is my fave! Haven't had it in a while too...perhaps I will try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luisa, It is a pretty easy recipe and we love it! I hope you decide to try it!

      Delete