Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Spray Painting My Lamps

When the cat is away, the mouse will..... organize and decorate of course. When the hubby is gone I try to stay busy. I have been looking for new lamps for our bedroom for a while. Lamps are expensive for a girl who likes to change things up from time to time. So as I was cleaning I decided that I would spray paint them, I figured I didn't like them to begin with so if I didn't like them when I finished I hadn't really lost anything. This is what they looked like before I started. A little boring.

I bought two cans of spray paint. One was a Rust-olum Metal finish, a bronzed color, but I decided to go silver in the bedroom. So I also bought mirror finish spray paint because I wanted it for another project.



First things first if your lamps are anything like mine they need to be dusted! Next, take off the old lamp shade, mine happened to have a finial and harp so I removed them as well. Then I covered the socket part and the cord with tape and old wrapping paper.





I took the lamp outside and used a light coat of the metallic spray paint first, covering it well but not too heavy as you will add another coat. When the first coat is dry apply the second coat. While the metallic paint is still wet apply a thin even coat of the mirror finish, I wanted a kind of transparent silver look. I knew immediately that it was perfect!



I purchased white paper drum shades and I love how they look in our room. So fresh and perfect with the other silver touches that I added. For less than $20 dollars per lamp, that includes shades, I ended up with something I love, but if I decide to change it down the road, I haven't made a major investment.

Just wanted to share a few pics of the finished room.




The trim is an off white, but will get a coat of pure white this summer!

What is a master without a comfy chair and a furry pillow!







This is one of my all time favorite gifts, a chalk portrait of my children when they were small.


This is one of two mirrors that I have had for a while, but just put them up.



My beautiful flowers that hubby surprised me with while he was away. I love fresh flowers, but fresh flowers on my nightstand is my favorite.  The flowers just shine in the cool colored room.




Here is the last thing that needs to go, see that brass, yeah not so much. I know the big thing is to put a lovely chandelier in the master, well in Houston we need our ceiling fan! If it hadn't started to make a humming noise I might try to paint it, but it needs replaced so I will start looking for something!

Thanks for stopping by, I love how my lamps turned out.

Linking with:  Imparting GraceThrifty ThursdayThriving ThursdayGraced SimplicityEat Sleep BeHomemakers ChallengeFeathered Nest FridayCommon GroundSerenity NowJennifer Rizzo
Romantic HomeFridays Unfolded


6 comments:

  1. First, I love the name of your blog, as I have a love of hospitality as well. Second, I love your makeover! Would love for you to share at Fridays Unfolded!

    Alison
    Nancherrow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for Alison for stopping by. I would love to share at Fridays Unfolded, thanks for the invitation.

      Delete
  2. Very very well done. It looks great! I love the lamps. I am stopping by from Sarah's Homemaking Party Blog hop! I would love your visit at homemaker-mom.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susie, thanks for visiting. I will hop on over to your site. Thank you also for the encouraging comments.

      Delete
  3. Your lamps look great Susan, and I love the crown molding in your room. I understand about using fans. I used to live in the South (Florida and Georgia) and sometimes you need to put comfort above beauty, but I personally think that there are some nice fans out there.
    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I have promised myself not to settle, but find a fan I love!

      Delete