Thursday, March 20, 2014

A Solution for Ugly in a Small Yard



I think spring has finally sprung in Houston! We have lived in the area for ten years and this has been the only real winter that lasted more than just a few days I can remember. I must admit that I am more than ready for some spring weather, even though it comes with a yellow coating of pollen on everything!

The Old Tile
Taking up Outside Tile
Mr. Wonderful took off a few days and we worked around the house, mostly on the backyard. If you recall, I have shared just how small our backyard is so it is hard to believe that we worked that many days, but we put a large dent in the "to-do" list. We are reworking parts of our yard and for now it is an ongoing project.

We had tile on part of our patio and decorative pavers on the other part, hubby worked hard to take the tile up. Not a fun job! I was the tile stacker. Our plan is to also remove the pavers and concrete the whole thing to provide some unity.

One of the other projects we completed was a small "putter shed". This is the problem area we started with:

Ugly Pipes
This is our sprinkler system as well as our access for the water hose. Each of the knobs waters a different part of the yard, it has to be turned on and off manually. Ugly huh? We knew we wanted to cover this, but still needed easy access because it is used so often through the summer. We also needed a little storage for things like potting soil, fertilizer and insect repellent all for yard use. I also wanted someplace to store spray paint and other things for projects that I do in the backyard. Plus you have to remember our yard is tiny so it had to be small and take up as little space, both visual and physical, as possible.

We found a picture that we thought could be adapted for our situation. After measuring out what we needed, Wonderful anchored 2x4's to the brick wall for stability. We could not get anything behind the pipes.




The depth is only 15 inches and the width is 30 inches! We felt we could get everything we wanted in this space. We added the roof, now I must admit I wished I had paid more attention in geometry! But we figured it out.



Next came our sides. This building is almost a completely recycled project. We bought the 2x4's and the hinges for the door at Lowe's and everything else including the screws came from a tear down. The sides and top are just pieces of wood, not even overlapping just butted against each other. Because the wood was already weathered we didn't worry about shrinkage.

The wood is different colors, and I love the character it provides. A door was then built and hinged on. Shelves were installed to provide the necessary storage and the water hose is attached to the inside back of the door. The two bricks that the front is resting on were squared up with the building and we poured pebbles in the bottom for the floor. We didn't worry about water proofing it because it sits completely under the overhang on the house.





I added the grapevine wreath and the little owl bell on the top. Hubby's grandmother collected owls and so it is a sweet tribute to her.

I love our little building and it certainly looks better than what we started with! If you also have a small yard what are some storage solutions you use?

UPDATE:  A Peak Inside



Linking with friends at:  The Dedicated HouseLiving Well Spending LessRedoux InteriorsFeathered Nest FridayPin PartySerenity NowCreate With JoyAmaze me MondayMarvelous MondaysKeeping It Simple CraftsGraced SimplicityMake it Pretty MondayThe Scoop


13 comments:

  1. Can I just tell you how BRILLIANT this is!!! I absolutely love it. It's hiding those pipes but it's functional and attractive. I'm a vintage/country fool and this is right up my alley. Pinning it now! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! I love how it turned out. Thanks also for the pin.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Audra. I will be checking out your Renewed Projects soon.

      Delete
  3. This is just the perfect solution and such a cute idea! Great thinking guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terry, it is working so well. Thanks for checking it out!

      Delete
  4. What a great idea! I love outdoor storage solutions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda for the encouragement and for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Genius! Love that you've turned it into a potting bench on the inside. So glad I saw this over at the Before and After Wednesday Party!
    Marie@The Interior Frugalista

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just gorgeous!!! I love everything about it... I love your blog.. One of the first things I do is read the profile.. I am always excited when someone states boldly they are a follower of Christ!!! I am following you in google.. I dropped by via The dedicated House.... Come on over and vist and follow along with me.. Looking forward to visiting with you.. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So Amazing! Thank you for sharing. You are one of the fan favorites at the Sunday Showcase from the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Here is the link so you can check out your feature. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2014/03/sunday-showcase-from-make-it-pretty_30.html Hope to see you again at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a smart solution for your formerly unattractive spot! And, the added storage is a huge plus! Thanks for linking up with us at Best of the Nest!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - how clever is that? And I'm sure it's so nice to have the added storage!

    ReplyDelete