Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Pastor Barry's Favorite Chocolate Pie

Sometimes Mr. Wonderful gives subtle hints, sometimes not so subtle! We were at a Lifegroup (Sunday School) party a couple of weeks ago. Members were allowed to ask the "Pastor" anything they wanted either church related or personal. There were questions about ministry, about his personal quiet time and favorite authors, etc. But the last question was "What is your favorite dessert?" Mr. Wonderful said my wife's chocolate pie and I haven't had any in a while! Yeah, not so subtle.

I have been making this pie for a long time. Did your local small town newspaper ever featured various people and their favorite recipes?. Well I still have the copy from when I was featured 20 years ago and this is one of the recipes I shared.


Now, I would like to tell you that I made this crust from scratch, but I did not! I had one that you buy in the refrigerated section of your grocery. Although I have made them before, sometimes convenience, is well more convenient!

Lots of patient stirring is involved, but then goodness happens.



When I pre baked my shell it shrunk in the pie pan, I did the best I could and went ahead and used it because perfection is not required!



I topped with meringue.

Pastor Barry's Favorite Chocolate Pie


It is usually a little thicker, but with the crust shrinking I didn't use all of the filling. Oh well, the hubby said it didn't change the taste. I hope you will try this recipe and enjoy it with your family. Who knows maybe it will become a favorite and you will get a few not so subtle hints! The printable recipe for Pastor Barry's Favorite Chocolate Pie found here.

Linked with:  Graced SimplicityImparting GraceJennifer RizzoSerenity NowFoodie FridayTruly LovelyWhat AboutCreate With JoyDwellingsInspire Me Tuesday

8 comments:

  1. I will take a slice please! Looks very good. Please come share at the Anything Goes linky, it just started over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and thanks for the invite. I just joined the party!

      Delete
  2. How wonderful that your recipe was features...it is obviously a good one...looks incredible. Pinned. thanks for bringing it to foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the pin and stopping by and yes it is a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will make this soon. questions: Bakers has changed the size of their package...no longer individual squares! Are you using 3 oz chocolate? also how many ounces of canned milk? I see one can in the pic but 2 in the recipe. there are different sizes to choose from.
    Looks delicious! can't wait to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes three ounces of chocolate and two cans of 12 oz evaporated milk. Let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, that's prettier than any chocolate pie I have ever made. Sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete