Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Letting It All Go


The list began a few months ago, it was huge, like unending but that was ok because I had plenty of time to complete it. There were large things, have the patio completed and small things, make chicken salad. I wanted to have everything checked off. I wanted my house to be perfectly clean (when has it ever been perfectly clean), I wanted a months worth of groceries and toiletries bought and all major projects completed. It didn't seem that unrealistic at the time, but as I sit here this morning and look at the uncompleted list, I realize it is time to let it go. The rain is pouring, and the thought of getting out is not pleasant.

Tomorrow I am having surgery, nothing terrible, just an overnight stay and then several weeks of recovery. But I was going to be the most prepared person in the world. You know my family wasn't going to have to go to the store until I felt well enough to go. (Mr. Wonderful hates to go to the store.) All of the laundry, ironing and dry cleaning would be done! The house including all of the closets and cabinets would be spotless, the windows clean. I was going to be the Proverbs 31 woman preparing for surgery! Yes the list was endless, but it was ok, I had plenty of time. The only thing I didn't take into account was that I also needed to take care of the day to day, finish a busy season at church and just general life not feeling my best. No the list isn't complete, but it is time to say it is ok.



It is time to put the list away and let the expectations go. It is time to be still. My friend Cathy gave me the most precious scripture cards from Psalms, today I am not concentrating on my list, but resting in the Great Physician.

Cast your burden on The Lord, And He shall sustain you; He shall never permit the righteous to be moved. Psalm 55:22


What do you need to let go, you may not be preparing for surgery, but you may well have an unreal list, either written or perhaps just in your mind! I am still learning that I don't have to be Superwoman, it is ok not to be perfect, it is even ok to be nervous, today I rest and let it go.

(I am sorry if this post inspires you to sing a song that can be maddening! I have yet to hear the song, but perhaps today I should download it!)


Sharing with:  Hit Me With Your Best Shot


2 comments:

  1. Gay,
    I hope that all goes well tomorrow - I will be praying for you! Also - - throw that list away!!!

    Laurie Anne

    ReplyDelete