Saturday, May 24, 2014

Shakertown and Oatmeal Cake

Growing up and living in central Kentucky, Shakertown was somewhere I was blessed to visit several times. The official name is Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill, but locals still refer to it as Shakertown. The grounds encompassing almost 3000 acres are absolutely gorgeous and the food is amazing. You will learn the history of the Shakers as you roam the village, where locals in period dress either tell you part of the story or are making an authentic craft that the Shakers were known for creating. The architecture and craftsmanship through out is amazing, including a beautiful spiral staircase. There is a craft store on site that sells the handmade items including furniture. I have had a Shaker broom since I was first married 29 years ago and I would not have anything else. Yes they are that good, I think I am on my second or third, well worth the investment.





If you are ever in central Kentucky, I highly recommend a visit. Although breakfast at the Inn is one of my favorites, dinner is just as good. Enjoy the impeccable grounds and you may even want to pick up a copy of We Make You Kindly Welcome, Recipes From the Trustees House Daily Fare. Mine is well worn and in need of replacing, but it has some really good recipes and overall is just a delight to thumb through.







We had a friend whose wife is out of town over for dinner this week and I served the Oatmeal Cake, from the cookbook with Blue Belle Homemade Vanilla ice cream and it was such a tasty dessert. I hope you will give it a try!

You can find the printable recipe for Oatmeal Cake here.





Sharing with:  Create With JoyThe Dedicated HouseThe Heart of Your HomeInspire Me TuesdayThe ScoopHit Me With Your Best Shot

4 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! pinning. Found at the dedicated house linky. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and yes we think it is yummy!

      Delete
  2. Oh this looks delicious. Thanks tons for the recipe and thanks for linking to Inspire Me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marty for hosting and for stopping by. I hope you will give the recipe a try!

      Delete