Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Remodeling Can Be Stressful

I was so gung ho when we started our ranch redo. I mean what is not to love for a DIY girl, a gazillion projects to do is like waking up to Christmas morning everyday! But as time has gone on, ok, 2 months, I have gotten a little remodel weary. I have used two gallons of high gloss paint and I am still not finished with trim, everything requires at least two coats. I also haven't finished painting cabinets yet! There have been lots of interruptions that basically just include life, but I have learned a few things along the way.



  1. Life happens, things don't go as planned and that brings delays. You can not keep a strict calendar of projects, tile doesn't come in, guys can't make the day you have down for them. Or projects just take longer. For a calendar keeping, list writing girl, that can be difficult!
  2. Perfection goes out the window, yeah I hate to tell you how long I let trash lay in the floor before I picked it up. When your floors look terrible anyway, the idea of sweeping and keeping it clean goes by the way side. Good enough to keep the health department from coming to visit, is good enough!
  3. You must be adaptable. I went over two weeks without a light in my kitchen, I went 36 hours without a refrigerator, two weeks without a dryer. Right now my bathroom has no cold water, the downstairs bath has no mirror and the faucet isn't hooked up to drain into the plumbing, we have to keep emptying the bucket.
  4. Taking care of yourself has to be a priority. You must still have your quiet time with God, you must still shower and brush your teeth, (yes there were days that wasn't accomplished until just before Wonderful came home!) Yesterday, while they were working on my flooring I had a manicure. Now that will last about 24 hours and only that long because they are still working on the floors today, but for that half hour, it was heavenly to be pampered!
  5. Keep an area that is (almost) finished. When we moved in we put new carpet in our bedrooms. We painted our bedrooms and set them up. It has been so nice to have a place to get away from the mess and chaos of remodel. It is rarely perfectly clean, there is a film that coats everything that comes with remodeling and the drapes aren't hung, nor is it decorated but to have a safe haven where each of us can go has been a huge blessing.


I could go on, but I won't stress you. Through it all I have asked God to keep my focus on Him and to keep it in perspective. There are many families without a home to go to, I am thankful! There are families that have no running water, heat or air or whatever luxuries that I take for granted. There are those that are praying for those they love with major health issues, and would trade their stress for mine any day of the week. My relationship with God has nothing to do with the state of my home, but the state of my heart!

Sharing with friends at:  Imparting Grace:  Our Joy His Glory

3 comments:

  1. OH my goodness! I can relate to this. Remodeling can be very stressful for sure. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nikki, thank you for stopping by and for the encouragement. I appreciate it!

      Delete
  2. I couldn't have said it better myself. Remodeling and renovation can be stressful and draining, like how our current home took some time. However, it can also be one of the most rewarding experiences, once you see the beauty and glory of what you've accomplished. I love the pointers you shared there. I hope your home improvement projects get done soon. Good luck and thanks for sharing!

    Arthur Bryant @ Contractor Express

    ReplyDelete