Sunday, April 26, 2015

The Friday Project - Fireplace Remodel


This project has taken parts of several Fridays. A reminder of where we started with the fireplace, the hearth spanned the whole family room, wall to door. Wonderful and I went back and forth on what to do, including leaving it, making the hearth smaller and another option was to paint the whole thing.

We decided to make the hearth smaller and leave the brick natural. Wonderful spent several days chiseling out brick, when that mess was finished our friend came and finished the ends. We removed the yucky old screen. After this I cleaned the brick and then painted the inside black. We also removed the sconces, they were not evenly placed, I decided that I wanted outlets on the mantle instead.

Wonderful replaced all of the trim around the fireplace. We may eventually add gas logs, but for now I am loving the end result of the fireplace remodel.

This is more than I would usually use to decorate the mantle, but the whole fireplace is such a large area and I wanted to hide the outlets we added. Although they are super handy, especially at Christmas I don't want to see them everyday.

The moss balls are something that I made some time ago, I love old books to decorate and the antique horse stirrup ties into the horse on the other side.

I am a huge fan of blue willow plates and this adds a nice touch of color. The books are old ones that I tore the covers off of because I like the look of naked books.

The plant is put in a fishing minnow bucket that I found in the garage when we moved here.

The fishing basket allows Mr. Wonderful a place to put his stuff, he uses this end of the hearth for an end table. The fishing basket also ties into the minnow bucket.


One final look of the before and after............




Sharing with:  DwellingsThe Dedicated HouseInspire Me TuesdayThe Scoop;Titus 2 TuesdayHit Me With Your Best ShotGrace at HomeWow us WednesdayThoughts From Alice

19 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by, I appreciate the encouragement!

      Delete
  2. Wow! Such a good idea, it really looks wonderful!
    Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy, thank you so much. We are pleased with the end result. Thank you for hosting such a great party.

      Delete
  3. It looks fabulous. Love the new smaller hearth. Gorgeous room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marty, it was a journey and at times I wasn't sure we made the right decision but now I love it! Always love your party and thanks for stopping in!

      Delete
  4. Hi, I'm visiting from The Dedicated House. What a big project! I cannot fathom why someone would build a hearth like that all the way across a room unless inside a rustic cabin or lodge. Removing the sconces and the brass trim were great ideas, really updated the look without going overboard. The fireplace is much more in balance with the size of the space now, and I think your mantle decorations are just right, not overdone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, thanks so much for taking a look. And yes that was the largest hearth I have ever seen, We are so pleased with the way it came out, but it was scarey when Wonderful started knocking brick out!

      Delete
  5. What a nice change! And what a mess removing all that brick! But I'd say your endurance paid off. Looks great! Visiting from Titus 2 Tuesday. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, it was a major mess for several days, but it did indeed pay off. It really is more to the scale of the room! Thanks so much for dropping in and taking a look!

      Delete
  6. Looks great! Has to be kind of scary when a big power tools have to come out!!! You made a big improvement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, it was scary. Definately a point of no turning back. But we love it!

      Delete
  7. I love this! We have a dated fireplace as well and are looking for ways to update it. This is so inspirational to see you take such a scary risk! The results are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer, and we love it so much better and I am thankful the Mr. pushed me to take a risk! Thanks for stopping in, I would love to see what you to with yours!

      Delete
  8. Thanks Lisa, we are happy with leaving it natural.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice job! That wasn't easy, I'm sure. Just keeping the dust down would've been a big task. Visitng from Dwellings - congrats on the feature.
    Rita C at Panoply

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what a job! Fabulous! Thank you for sharing. You are one of the fan favorites at The Sunday Showcase from the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Here is the link so you can check out your feature. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2015/05/the-sunday-showcase-from-make-it-pretty.html Hope to see you again at the party. Toodles, Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing this. The fireplace remodel is one that I have never attempted or considered. Seeing the photos in the process helped to define the breakdown of the bricks and made it appear less like a cumbersome and labor-intensive task. Love the decorations; the moss ball and fishing basket are adorable.

    Lindsey Mckenzie @ Buchanan Fire And OutDoor

    ReplyDelete