Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Fig Cake

I never knew anyone with a fig tree before moving to Texas. I seriously had never had figs unless you count Fig Newtons, and I am really not sure that counts! Figs were common to the area we moved, the church we served had fig trees on their grounds.

A sweet lady from church gave me a mess of figs and a recipe for fig cake. You know my love for handwritten recipes , but I don't have the lady's name on the card and for the life of me I can't remember. Sad face. I made the cake while my dad was visiting and he said it was one of the best cakes he ever had.






When we moved here another sweet lady in our church, Betty, don't you just love sweet ladies, gave us a fig tree. While our tree just has a handful of figs that will be harvested this year, they aren't ready. Mrs. Betty brought us some figs last week. That meant is was time to dig out the fig cake recipe, I wanted to share it with you.










Fig Cake



1 Cup buttermilk
1 Cup Oil
3 Eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 Cups Sugar
2 Cups AP Flour
1 tsp soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp allspice
2 Cups fresh figs cut up

Sift together all dry ingredients and set aside. Mix first four ingredients well in mixer bowl. Add dry sifted ingredients and mix well. Add the figs and mix again. Pour in prepared oblong pan and bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour (or slightly longer)



This cake is very dense and moist. I added a buttermilk glaze, but I believe next time I will just top each piece with whipped cream and a dash of cinnamon.



Disclaimer, I halved this recipe and baked in a loaf pan because I just had one cup of figs, I used two whole eggs. Although the cake still tasted good, I would not do this again. If you have access to fresh figs you should definitely give it a try, my family loves it and Mr. Wonderful is not even a fan of Fig Newtons!



Sharing with:  Work it WednesdayOh My Heartsie Girl Wordless WednesdayImparting Grace;
Weekend Wind DownSundays at Home

27 comments:

  1. Finally a fig cake rece. Thanks xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really good, I hope you will let me know how you like it! Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  2. My grandmother used to have a fig tree. She always made the best fig jam, but never cake ... And now I want to try this cake. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to give jam a try when my tree really starts producing. Thanks for the visit Melanie!

      Delete
  3. My only fig experience has been Fig Newtons, which I love. I don't know of anyone with a fig tree here in Florida...hmmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never seem figs in the grocery, have you? Thanks for the visit!

      Delete
  4. Same here. Never had real figs. may have to try them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, I am not crazy about them raw. But would suggest you give them a try. Have a great day.

      Delete
  5. I love fresh figs! My grandfather had a fig tree in his garden! Sweet memories! This cake looks great! :-)
    Cathy@threekidsandafish{dot}com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the visit Cathy. The cake is so moist and has a nice taste. Thank you so much for visiting.

      Delete
  6. Looks delicious. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, we enjoy it! Thanks also for the visit.

      Delete
  7. I don't know if I have ever had a fresh fig, but it looks so yummy! I wouldn't even know what to do with them, but so neat you made a cake! Yum yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caroline, I had never had a fresh fig either. Hoping to make some preserves too! Thanks for dropping in.

      Delete
  8. Yum! This sounds amazing. I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My great-grandma had fig trees, and other fruit trees... and we had tons of fresh fruit recipes. We now live in a city where fruit from our yard is not really available, I totally miss those treats. There's nothing like just picked fresh.

    Thanks for the recipe!

    Marissa

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never had fig cake before. In fact, I'm like you. The only fig I have had is from Fig Newton cookies but that probably doesn't count. The cake looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! What is up with that! lol thanks for stopping in Mary.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. It was good for breakfast! lol Have a great day.

      Delete
  12. I absolutely love fresh figs... and grilled figs and roasted figs. And Fig Newtons, lol. That fig cake does sound pretty tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grilled figs and roasted figs sounds good, when my tree starts producing, I will have to try them all. Have a great day and thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  13. What do figs taste like? Sweet? :) They look pretty intriguing. I don't think I can get any up here in Indiana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The taste is not a strong taste. Raw ones taste kind of earthy to me. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  14. I have never eaten a fig cake before. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you like it. I enjoyed your visit!

      Delete