Monday, July 20, 2015

Stuff

Last Sunday as I was getting ready for church I couldn't find my charm bracelet. I love my charm bracelet, it was given to me by special friends and my hubby and children have added to it over the years. I can tell you who gave me each charm. After looking for several minutes, I quickly put on another bracelet and headed out the door. On the way to church and I must admit during some of church I was thinking more of my bracelet instead of having my focus on worship, I even prayed a few times to find it.



Our sermon series over the past couple of months has been on Jonah and on that particular morning we were finishing up the book. As I listened about Jonah and his concern for the plant that provided him comfort, a concern Jonah did not feel for the lost around him, I began to feel convicted. My concern over my bracelet had dominated my thoughts that morning, I had not given the first thought about the people around me that were in need, only about my treasure.






As I went about my week, each time I was burdened to look for my bracelet, I used it as a reminder to pray for those around. By Wednesday I found my bracelet, but I wanted it to continue to be an encouragement in my prayer life.

On Wednesday afternoon we picked up Darling Daughter at the airport and there was a small incident in the way of stuff that caused me to shed a few tears, but again I felt the Lord ask me when I had shed tears for the people around me in need. I was quick to cry over stuff, but not those that mattered most to Him.





Saturday afternoon I returned home after errands and Mr. Wonderful meets me as I come in and said there has been a bit of a problem. The glass in our front door, the door we replaced a few months back had shattered. Yep, even though it is still in the door, the tempered glass is in a gazillion little pieces. We used clear tape to hold it in until we can figure out what we need to do, but apparently the high temperature outside combined  with perhaps a flaw in the door caused it to break!


Although the stuff that I have can be a blessing, it can also be a great aggravation and a great expense that can take my eyes off of what is truly important. I am praying that my eyes stay focused on people and that the stuff of life will not be a distraction to what is eternally important!


Sharing with friends:  Inspire Me TuesdayTitus 2 TuesdayThe ScoopOMHG Wordless Wednesday

17 comments:

  1. Your sentiment is well-taken -- God gets our attention in myriad ways. Then He gives us a heavenly purpose. I'll remember your "reminder" the next time I misplace something. Thanks. Jo @ let's Face the Music

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting. He certainly does get our attention and for that I am thankful! Have a great day!

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful reminder to dwell on the important things in life.

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God is constantly working on heart to focus on others and not on the stuff of life. Blessings, Colletta.

      Delete
  3. We all have the head knowledge that things aren't important - but it's hard sometimes to make our hearts align! We love sentimental things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I love sentimental things, I am asking God to constantly remind me of what is important. Thanks for dropping in!

      Delete
  4. I have so been there! I have been concerned with material things instead of people - God's people. And just like you, I'm often convicted by the Holy Spirit to realign my thoughts and concerns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brandi, I am thankful for God's work in my life. Thank you for the encouragement!

      Delete
  5. Sentimental things can often lead you to pray for those who gave it to you and remind you to give thanks for all the blessings God pours out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully written and so much truth in what you've shared - I know that I get nudges and will ignore them, but then a get a push that is loud and clear - knowing I had better listen and follow - it is my prayer being answered, but only if I pay attention and follow that nudge, or loud push

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keeping focus can be hard! As a mom of 2 tiny kidlets, I find myself preoccupied way too often with keeping them entertained than with keeping up my devotional times and spending time with God. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful post and one so may of us need to hear and reread and start to do more of. Especially my family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a convicting post reminding me to forget the "stuff" and look for those in need.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think we have all had similar experiences as what you have shared. Isn't it wonderful the Holy Spirit corrected you right away? It just goes to show, you weren't that far removed from the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great encouragement and reminder to have an eternal perspective. Today I have been listening to "Thou Oh Lord" by the Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir. God has a vision and purpose for each of us. His promises are true! No one is an accident. We are all fearfully an wonderfully made!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is amazing how quickly the stuff can take on roles that they have no right having. Thank you for sharing your heart.

    Marissa

    Reading List

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's so easy to let stuff get in the way of what we should be focusing. Thank you for this reminder.

    ReplyDelete