Back in November I shared with you a project that Wonderful and I tackled for my birthday, (click here for a reminder). If you recall we used plans from Ana White to build a dessert buffet designed specifically for a space that I had in the dining room to allow an additional serving area.
Well unfortunately in my typical blogging fashion I got busy and never shared with you the finished product. After a good sanding, and then a wipe down with a tack cloth I applied a new to me paint, Fusion Mineral Paint. At the recommendation of the seller of the paint I applied the first coat on the raw wood, in hind sight I should have applied a wood conditioner first because in the end it took about five coats of paint. I think that three would have been sufficient had I used the conditioner to seal the wood.
After the paint dried, I then applied an antiquing glaze. I continued to layer the glaze to achieve the look I desired. I am not sure how many coats that ended up being because at times I only added to specific areas. I then applied two coats of wipe on poly because I was going to use it to serve food, it needed to be a durable surface that could be wiped off and wouldn't stain.
The end result is exactly what I wanted. Because we customized the measurements, it fits the space perfect, the red adds a pop of color and it provides a functional surface for entertaining.
Through Christmas I used it to display my snow globes when it wasn't being used as a buffet. The bottom shelf has an antique picnic basket that adds additional linen storage for the dining room. Although the top displays some simple decorations that I already had, I am not exactly sure what I want here long term, just thinking I will know it when I see it.
Based on our experience and the success of this project, Mr. Wonderful and I have already planned a few more things in the future!
Sharing with: Shine Blog Hop; Think Tank Thursday; Brag Worthy Thursday