Thursday, January 21, 2016

Organizing by the Book

Being a bit of a nerd when it comes to reading organizing books and articles, I continually heard others referring to the book, "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up", so I picked it up a couple of months ago.   It is a New York Times best seller with over 3 million copies sold.  Translated from Japenese, the book promotes the KonMari Method, named for the author Marie Kondo.

The book was an easy read and somewhat entertaining at times when the author shares her life long obsession of organizing and decluttering.  Three things I took away from the book:





1. Tidying by Category.  The KonMari Method requires you to clean, decluttering by category such as doing all clothing at one time.  Not your closet, then your dresser, then your coat closet, you do it all at once.  How this helped me:  allowed me to see exactly what I had, there were light jackets stored in the laundry room that were easy to grab and heavier coats in the coat closet.  When I gathered them all at one time and one place I realized I had more light jackets than I thought and was able to get rid of a couple.  When they were spread out I didn't realize there were duplicates!





2.  Designate a place for each thing, don't scatter storage spaces.  This is not new to the KonMari Method, remember the old saying, "A place for everything and everything in it's place!"  How this helped me:  I had previously stored items where I used them and allowed myself duplicates if I used them in more than one place.  Some of the places I had tape included the junk drawer,  the end table by the couch, my desk and where I store my gift wrapping supplies.  When I gathered them all up there were over five rolls in various places around the house.  I now have one spot for tape, I know exactly where it is and how much I have, and I also know exactly where to return it when done.  No more duplicates of half used tape in various places around the house.

3.  It is ok to let go of things.  How this helped me:  I had several clothing items that I hated to get rid of because they were still good, even though I didn't enjoy wearing them or feel I looked good in them.  It is okay to pass things along, even if I didn't wear it out, I can appreciate the lesson learned whether it be a particular color that I didn't like or maybe a style.  I had books on my shelf that I intended to read and I have intended to read them for five years.  It is ok to admit to myself that if I hadn't been compelled to read it in the last five years I probably wasn't and it was okay to pass them on to someone else.  Keeping them only made me feel guilty for not completing that task.





Even though I bought and read the  book and would admit that I did benefit from it, I can't recommend it.  Ms.  Kondo's belief system is so different from my own.  She shares about thanking her clothes and various other items each day for serving her well, as well as sending items off with dignity.  I believe in thanking God, my Provider,  for giving me what I need for the day, not the object that was provided.  I believe in valuing the people in my life and not the things in my life.  While some people may not find this a problem, I found I could not divorce myself from my beliefs in order to fully enjoy the book!

Have you read any good organizing books or articles lately, if so how did they help you?  I would love your recommendations!



Sharing with:  Think Tank ThursdayShine Blog Hop

6 comments:

  1. Interesting review and interesting book, Susan.

    It sounds like you found some great takeaways from the book even though you and the author were not in agreement on some major issues.

    Thanks for sharing a thoughtful book review. I came over on Think Tank, and I'm glad to find your site.
    Hope you have a blessed day~
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping in and taking the time to leave a comment! Blessings.

      Delete
  2. I've been wondering about this book because I've heard a lot of people say how much it helped them organize their home and minimize their belongings.

    I don't think I would be able to get past the statements of "thanking belongings", etc. That just seems odd and counters my faith.

    Thanks for sharing (and for linking up to the #SHINEbloghop).

    Wishing you a lovely day.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer thank you for stopping by, and yes I would read portions to my husband and say do people really believe like this, in some ways it was very eye opening. Thank you for hosting. Blessings.

      Delete
  3. I love organizing and decluttering! These are some great tips for clearing out the clutter and getting rid of things you don't use or need. I have heard a lot of good things about the KonMari method. I might have to check it out for myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Celeste, thanks for stopping by and yes it changed my thoughts on some things, I had always just decluttered by room and not by category, category makes more sense for knowing exactly what you have! Have a blessed day!

      Delete