Saturday, January 9, 2016

The Friday Project - Painted Sign

I have been all over signs for a long time, but since the Nutcracker Market  and seeing those prices for hand painted signs,  I have been inspired to paint my own.  I painted three or four for Christmas, but didn't blog about them (bad blogger)!

After all of the undecorating earlier this week, I decided something different was needed above a small console that sits in my breakfast area.  Before Christmas there were plates hung along with the clock, I never liked the plates, but was at a loss for what I wanted.





I have a small chalkboard in my craftroom and I loved this drawing that has been on there for at least six months which is a record for a chalkboard in my house!  So I decided to recreate it on a sign above the console.  I used my Cricut to create an arrangement to fit a board I had on hand.










After painting the board white and letting it dry,  I stuck the vinyl that I had cut on the Cricut to the board.  Several tutorials said to paint the letters with Modge Podge and let dry to prevent the paint from seeping.  When that dried I used a stencil brush to stipple black paint on the letters and arrow then a dark red for the heart.  Because this technique requires so little paint the vinyl was ready to be pulled off in about 20 minutes.  The lines were crisp, but I wanted something more time worn looking.  Using a damp rag I wiped down the design until I achieved the look I wanted.  Next I sealed the whole thing with a walnut stain and sealer, giving it the aged look I prefer.



Although I couldn't capture a true picture of the sign, I am super pleased with how it turned out and can't wait to work on another, Amazing Grace anyone?






(It was a gray day and I couldn't get a decent picture to save my life!  I need to work on my photography skills!)


Sharing with:  It's OverflowingHappiness is Homemade

5 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved it! But I think i didn't mention it because I would've been every second walking behind you telling you "I like this, I like that!" In your house, you are such a creative, sweet, patient, gracious, hospitable person. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too sweet friend! I loved having everyone over last night, let's do it again early summer!!! Thanks for the comment too!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...and I paid good money for a sign very similar to this. Next time, I'll just pay you! I was just telling Paula yesterday about all of the projects you and Mr. Wonderful conquer. I am so amazed by you both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can customize something! Loved my Christmas card by the way!

      Delete