Saturday, March 5, 2016

Five Things I Learned Covering My Dining Room Chairs

I bought my dining room table and chairs about four years ago, it came from a family that was downsizing.  When I purchased it I knew the chairs needed recovering, but it worked fine in our existing dining room, then we moved to the fixer and it was definitely not a priority.

After  building the dessert buffet  and painting it red, I have been adding lots of red!  I looked locally but ended up ordering fabric online and thankfully liked it, that is always a little scary.  I had covered a couple of chair bottoms in the past so I knew what to expect.  But here are five things I have learned:




1.   REMOVING A CHAIR BOTTOM FABRIC IS WORK .  Taking the old covering off is time consuming.  I was careful to keep the existing chair fabric in tact to use as a pattern for cutting the new fabric.  I also kept the bottom chair lining to reuse.  Each layer is stapled on and each staple has to be removed individually.  There are a gazillion staples!









2.  TOOLS NEEDED. I used a hammer, a standard flat head screwdriver and pliers in the removal process.

3.  THERE WILL BE BLOOD. You will scrape, gouge, poke and stick your hands doing this.  It will happen.



4.  YOU WILL NEED MORE STAPLES.  When you begin to cover the chair in your fabric, no matter how many staples you have, you will need more!   (From experience double check your size before buying!)




5.  YOU CAN DO THIS.  Although covering the chair bottom is work, it is not hard.  You will need a good staple gun and lots of staples (see 4).  Check your perfectionist self before starting this project.  There might be a pucker here and there, but your chairs will still look great.





There are numerous tutorials on Pinterest  telling how to recover a chair bottom.  Read several before starting, then choose your fabric, gather your tools and go for it!  This is just a sneak peek of my chairs and quite honestly I still have a few more to go (eight total)!  Can't wait to share the room when it is done!




Sharing with:  Happiness is HomemadeSocial Butterfly SundayTitus 2 Tuesday; A Little R&RThink Tank Thursday

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful transformation! That fabric is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing with #SocialButterflySunday! Hope to see you link up again this week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for checking out my chairs! I can't wait to get them finished!

      Delete