Sunday, March 20, 2016

Found Items in the Garden

One of my favorite ways to add interest in the garden is to use found items or items in unexpected ways.  A few years ago I incorporated a birdcage  in my outdoor decor.  This year it includes minnow buckets.  Mr. Wonderful will tell anyone who will listen that I took his minnow buckets, this is only partly true!  The minnow buckets were found in the garage when we bought the house and although he might use them when fishing, he hasn't been fishing in a few years so in my mind they were fair game!
I am so excited, my herbs are starting to poke through the soil!





The buckets separate in two pieces, one is a bucket and the other is a bucket with holes around the bottom a few inches up and a top with holes.  I took the first bucket and planted lavender.  The part with holes I used to plant mint, mint will overtake a garden and is best planted in containers.  These are a part of my herb garden that I created out of leftover bricks.





The second bucket has the most adorable fish on it.  I have it sitting on my baker's rack, I haven't decided whether or not I am going to add a plant or just use it on the rack for storage.  The part with holes had a styrofoam ring on the inside, I tore out this part.  Then I added a couple of inches of pebbles and a citronella candle, placing it on the top shelf on the baker's rack.  At night it becomes the perfect lantern, adding a nice glow to that area.



The secret is out, the minnow bucket becomes a lantern!



Do you have any unusual items in your garden?  Next time you see a cute container, try to figure out a unique  way to incorporate it in your decor.  Just be careful when "borrowing" from your hubby!




Linking with:   Inspire Me Monday; Inspiration Monday; Creative Gallery;  Inspire Me Monday; Titus 2 Tuesday

3 comments:

  1. This is absolutely awesome! Minnow buckets, who knew. Now... where do I get myself some minnow buckets? Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jenn! I really like the visual interest it adds to our patio!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so creative! Love, love the minnow bucket lantern.

    ReplyDelete