Tuesday, March 15, 2016

DIY Herb Garden - Friday Projects

Remember a couple of weeks ago when I was all about our neighbor's yard sweeper? (Here). Well I found one on the local garage sale sight and it works great, it doesn't take much to excite us!






Friday, we worked in the yard after trying out the new to us tool.  Wonderful sewed some grass in bare spots and I worked on my herb garden.  I planted a few herbs in the garden but I really wanted some closer to the house so I decided to use what I had and see what I could come up with on the patio.  I found a plastic rectangle planter, not too cute but great for the herbs.  We also have lots of loose brick stacked up around the yard that will someday be used in a yet to be decided permanent project.  I was inspired by the project  Mr. Wonderful did here  to disguise the utility box at our old house.









I knew I wanted to raise the plastic container a bit, the first thing I did was build a brick platform, but decided that was a waste of brick, so I found two old plastic planters the same size and used them to lift the planter.  Efficient use of available materials but super ugly. I placed the brick on the patio to determined my size and then basically just started building up!  I am very pleased with how it turned out considering I used all found materials.





I purchased potting soil and a few herbs including Rosemary, mint, lavender, and Greek oregano.  I had previously bought seeds for basil, cilantro, thyme and sage.  I also bought a couple of flowers from the clearance rack to add a little color and to under plant the tree that I already had.  I can't wait for my herb garden to grow!  Not only will it be convenient to the kitchen for cooking and grilling, I have also read that many herbs repel mosquitoes!  A great addition to the patio all the way around!




















I realize in most of the country it is still a bit early to plant, when do you start your outside planting?  Do you have any tips for me planting herbs in pots?  I would love to hear from you!







Sharing with:  Titus 2 Tuesday; Tell It To Me Tuesday; Lady Bug Blessings; VMG206; Whole Hearted Home; A Little R&R; Whimsy Wednesdays; From House to Home; Over 50 Feeling 40; Create it Thursday; Think Tank Thursday; Grace at Home;

12 comments:

  1. Love these great DIY ideas! Your plantar with the bricks around it is gorgeous! Many blessings to you ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Beth for checking out my herb garden. I love the way the planter turned out and can't wait for the herbs to fill in!

      Delete
  2. What a great idea! I love the assortment of pots alongside the raised brick. What a lovely garden!
    Thank you for sharing this week at Brag About It link party on VMG206 (Mondays at Midnight). I plan to feature you next week!
    ~ Megin of VMG206

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your brick planter is lovely--great place for herbs. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, thank you so much for dropping in. I love my herb garden and am enjoying watching them poke through the soil!

      Delete
  4. Such a cute idea! Love it! Pinning and tweeting to share :) Thanks for sharing with us at Brag About It! Congrats on next weeks feature!
    ~Laurie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How awesome! I am humbled, and can't wait. Thank you Laurie!

      Delete
  5. love this! we are expecting more snow at the end of the week. So our yard work has been minimal. I just hope my daffodils will make it through this year. Thank you for sharing at the Thursday favorite Things blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, it has actually gotten a little cool here as well. I can't wait til it warms back up and I can get outside again!

      Delete
  6. enjoyed your blog! just wanted to share something my sister shared with me. she took a plain ceramic pot and spray painted it with a copper spray paint and i was amazed at the look. it went from drab, and something i would never spend my money on, to something i wished i had. it was stunning! thanks for sharing your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never tried copper spray paint! I need to do that!

      Delete