Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Kitchen Gadgets - Food Saver

When we downsized our kitchen took the hardest hit, day to day it functions perfectly for two people.  But I had to be brutal in decluttering, my rule was not to have two appliances that provided the same function.  The toaster - gone, I could make toast in my oven, chopper - gone, I have knives and cutting board.  Although I got rid of a very old crock-pot I recently purchased a very basic one because it makes serving some things for a large group much easier. Everything was evaluated because storage space was limited.  Not being a kitchen gadget person, this really wasn't much of a problem for me.

I love my little kitchen!



My friend, Elvia recently asked on FB if anyone had a Food Saver  and what they thought of it, well thank you Elvia I have been wondering the same thing.  That was the one gadget that I was considering.  Other friends began to rave about  how great this appliance was, seriously no negative, no I have one I will sell you. I happened to be in Costco the same week and they had one with discounts for $59.99 and I made the purchase.






Sealing left over spaghettis sauce we had last night!


I like to buy in bulk, yes there are only two of us, but I really don't like to go to the store.  I buy sale meat and cheese especially, but other items as well and separate  into smaller freezer bags and freeze.  Freezing items this way tends to have a short life, freezer burn can happened quickly and ruin the quality of the food,  the Food Saver extends the life of these items by several months.  Also by taking all of the air out, it condenses the item down to the smallest size, I only have the freezer that is in my refrigerator.  After reading up on the Food Saver I found out that I can also seal fresh veggies for the frig and extend their life as well.  I haven't tried this yet, but plan on it soon.  It will also reseal chips and other snacks to keep them fresher longer.  The only down side I see at this point is the bags that are required can get quite pricey, but with a little planning ahead some of them can be reused.


Ready for freezer and a night I don't want to cook!



This is not a sponsored post, but I am excited about how the Food Saver can potentially help me save money in the long run.  I will keep you updated on how it is going!   If you have any tips on how you use yours I would love to hear from you.


Sharing with:  Wise Woman Link Up; Raising Homemakers;  Party in Your PJs;  A Little R&RThink Tank Thursday


2 comments: