Saturday, April 2, 2016

The Ministry of Your Home

What is the ministry of your home?  How do you want to serve God through the blessing of your home?  I think that is an important question that we should ask ourselves.  Sometimes I get caught up in how my home looks, or what is my style and I forget that my home's most important function is not fashion but ministry.





 The first line of ministry in the home is our families.  I want my home to function as a sanctuary, not asking for anyone to feel sorry for us, but just to be honest pastoring can be hard.  I want our home to be a place that Wonderful looks forward to coming to at the end of any day, the good, the bad or the ugly.  I want him to have a comfortable place to relax and enjoy watching the sport of the season.  My hubby likes things tidy, so even when our kids were little I would try to pick up before he came home.   Why, because I wanted him to be able to relax when he got here.







If you have small children your home will need to minister and function differently than our home as empty nesters.  Your home should reflect the people that live there.  Whether you have a play room for toys only or toys are a part of every room in your house, your children should feel comfortable at home. I always wanted my kids to feel like their  friends were welcome in our home.  I also wanted our home to be a safe haven for my kiddos, a place of fun but most importantly a place of love.




Home is also a place to bless others.  I enjoy having family and friends over, whether to spend the night or just share a meal.  I want my home to feel inviting and welcoming to others.  So I keep this in mind when I am decorating, there is nothing in my house that I fear will be broken or ruined when people visit.  This allows not only me to enjoy them, but also allows them to enjoy themselves.  That is not to say you can't have nice things, but your heart should be for others not items we have collected.  This is also true of hosting others for meals, I enjoy a nicely set table, but I use nothing that I cannot throw in the dishwasher when the meal is finished.  I have honestly not bought a dish that I really liked because it would not fit in the dishwasher or was hand wash only.  I want my focus and time to be spent  on my guests and not my things or the care of my things.







Finally your home should minister to you.  I would encourage you to have a small space carved out in your place where you can go to pray, read, think, write or just a getaway.  It doesn't have to be a dedicated room, just a spot that allows for a time of refreshment, reflection and renewal because you set the tone for everyone else in your home.




Think about the ministry of your home?  What changes can you make to allow your home to reflect how you want to minister to others?  In what ways does your home minister to your family, friends and you?

Click here for recipe.




Sharing with:  Making Your Home Sing Monday;  Inspiration MondayInspire Me Monday;  Clever Chicks Blog HopTitus 2 Tuesday;  Tell Tuesday;  Your Gonna Love it April;  Grace at Home;  Share Your Style;

13 comments:

  1. I love the simple beauty of your home. I think you must be a very welcoming lady.


    Please drop by and say hello!
    ஐღLauraღஐ
    Harvest Lane Cottage
    ...doing what I can with what I've got where I am
    on a short shoestring budget!
    ~~~~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Laura for taking the time to stop by. I will certainly visit Harvest Lane Cottage, sounds as if we have a lot in common.

      Delete
  2. I totally agree that our home is a ministry! Well said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne for the encouragement and thanks for taking the time to stop by!

      Delete
  3. Hi Susan! This is such a lovely post. I appreciate so much of what you've shared here. The funny thing is that everything I buy is hand washed and it doesn't take away from time with my guests at all - I have no dishwasher! Lol! I'm a human dishwasher. :o)

    God bless you!
    Tiffiney Holmes
    WelcomeHomeMinistry.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiffiney, that comment is probably personal as I hate washing dishes! I have other friends that find it soothing, I don't even like emptying the dishwasher! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to share. Enjoy your day!

      Delete
  4. Susan, Thank you for sharing your insights on the ministry of home. You convicted me in some areas and reminded me in others.

    I appreciated so much reading this very edifying post. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, thank you for your encouragement. I love sharing my home with others and hope to inspire others to do the same. Have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  5. I agree, our home is our first place of ministry and that means our immediate family is our first ministry priority. If that is not functioning as God intends ... what kind of faith in action is that?

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tammy! I agree that my family is my first ministry priority, I want my home to function as a respite for them!

      Delete
  6. Lovely post. Lovely reminder. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, thank you so much for taking the time to drop by. I appreciate your encouragement! Have a great day!

      Delete
  7. Yes, yes, YES! You've got it exactly right. I love the way you make your point gently but firmly. And you are so wise to include the fact that the way we keep our homes is a ministry to us as well as to our family and others.

    Thank you so much for joining the Grace at Home party. I'm featuring you this week!

    ReplyDelete