Thursday, May 19, 2016

Blackberries and Cobbler

Did I tell you we planted a blackberry bush?  We bought it Mother's Day weekend.  The Coach and his girlfriend bought me a satsuma tree for Mother's Day and when we picked it up I also got a blackberry bush, I think we are going to go back and get another.






These blackberries are from the supermarket, but maybe next year I will have some we grow.  With blackberries on sale I decided to make a cobbler.  I rarely use cookbooks anymore, do you?  When looking for a recipe I go to Pinterest and search.  So many of the recipes I share with you are not my own, but reviews of ones that I find, and I must say for me that is valuable.  I hate trying a new recipe that turns into a fail!






I decided to use a recipe from Family Savvy .  For blackberry cobbler we prefer a crisp crust as opposed to a bread like crust.  This was super easy and I would put it in the semi-homemade category because the recipe uses refrigerated pie crust.  I have yet to perfect a pie crust, any pointers?  Mine just don't seem to be flaky.  If you have a great homemade pie crust, I would use it instead and send me the recipe.




I loved that this recipe uses an iron skillet.  It turned out great, Wonderful said a definite keeper.  The only changes I made, because we all know I can't leave well enough alone when it comes to a recipe, were:  I used 4 generous cups of fresh blackberries; I used slightly less sugar and I think I would cut it back a little more the next time; my iron skillet is 10 inches and I believe that is the perfect size.





No cobbler is complete in our house without a scoop of Bluebell Homemade Vanilla ice cream.  Click here for the recipe for Skillet Blackberry Cobbler, you should give it a try!


Joining friends:  House to Home; Shine Blog HopDare to Share; Inspiration MondayInspiration MondayCreative Gallery

3 comments:

  1. This looks excellent! I love blackberries, and I'm totally craving something sweet tonight! I'll have to make this soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is easy and my hubby keeps talking about how good it is! I hope you enjoy!

      Delete
  2. Looking at this is making me want to go out and buy some blackberries and make this soon.

    ReplyDelete