Thursday, May 12, 2016

Dining Room Before and After

When we first saw our house the dining room looked like this:



The house was designed for the small area at the end of the room where the wall paper is to be the dining room and the larger part was designed to be a living room.  Although I wanted a dining room, I wanted a large dining room.  We enjoy having people over and our table is quite large seating eight comfortably.  We immediately knew we would use the large area for the dining room and make a small sitting area where the dining room originally was designed to go.  I am a firm believer that you should live in your house the way it works for you and not necessarily the way it was designed.







Here is how the room looks today.  There are still a few tweaks we will make over time, but I love how it functions for us.  We moved the overhead light to be over the table.



We put hard wood floors through out, it makes the space flow from the entry to the dining room, sitting room, kitchen, breakfast and family room.



This is the dessert buffet that Wonderful and I built and finished for my birthday.  It is the perfect piece that functions for the dining room when needed and also works in the sitting area.  The antique picnic basket stores chargers out of site but accessible.  



The reading nook is the perfect spot for hubby to have his morning coffee and quiet time.  I love this spot, it is such a great conversation area.




The reading nook also has some wonderful mementos from various mission trips we have enjoyed as well as old cameras, a typewriters and other quirky items that I find interesting.  I love the way it works for our family.



One final before:




and after:



Sharing with:  Imparting Grace; Before and After Wednesday; Share Your Style;  Inspire Me MondayInspire Me TuesdayTitus 2 TuesdayHomemaking Party; R&R Wednesday;

10 comments:

  1. Your hard work paid off. It turned out beautifully. It also looks so much brighter too Well done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for checking out my room redo. We are on a journey to renovate and make our house our own! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. Great colour choice... and I am in love with that little fan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, the fan is a thrift store find and I love it too!

      Delete
  3. I agree you should use a house for your purpose -- not necessarily the way it was intended. I like the LARGE DINING ROOM but then I am a fan of them -- and separate -- not an open floor plan -- and the little reading nook is PERFECT! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha, I am a fan of large dining rooms and separate spaces as well! I was in open concept before and I like an older house so much better. Thanks for the encouragement, have a great week!

      Delete
  4. It's lovely. We have scraped wall paper many times but the end result is so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gabrielle, it is so worth it, but it is absolutely my least favorite job! I have one more yet to do and I keep putting it off!

      Delete
  5. You have done a beautiful job transforming this room. I love the hardwood that you chose... gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenny! It works for us so well, thanks for checking out my room.

      Delete