Thursday, January 12, 2017

Reading and a Book Review

I have always enjoyed reading, but the last couple of years I haven't read nearly as much.  So one of my goals for the new year is to read more, at least one to two books a month.  But this goal has brought about a personal revelation,  I don't enjoy reading on my tablet nearly as much as I enjoy having a book in my hand.  I realize it is a bit old fashioned, but the smell and feel of the book is part of the experience for me.




Our public library has a small store in the front where folks donate books in good shape and they are sold for a few dollars each.  All of the proceeds go to support projects of the library, so it is a win, win. The week between Christmas and New Year's Day, Wonderful and I made a trip to the library and I was able to come away with five hard back books for $12.  I have already enjoyed two of them!




Although not one of the books from the library, I also picked up"Grace Not Perfection"by Emily Ley.  This is a beautiful book!  It has lovely pictures, a ribbon bookmark and is just pure joy to read.  I wish I had had a copy of this book twenty years ago when I had three littles under the age of seven!  Emily really stresses the beauty of not only extending grace to others but allowing yourself grace as well.  She speaks of enjoying those precious babies in front of you and not worrying about the pressure of perfection or having it all, I know many of the moms I talk with on a regular basis realize how real this pressure can be daily.  In the midst of encouraging you to enjoy your season of life, she also inspires you to find out your passion and serve God through it.  As a result of discovering her passion, Emily developed the popular Simplified Planner and now has a product line that is nationally known.  She shares her failures and insecurities of developing this business while taking on motherhood and enjoying her people.  I recommend "Grace Not Perfection" for any mom, but especially the mom who might feel overwhelmed with her life.  Emily will encourage you to enjoy the mess of life,  extend yourself some grace while also giving you permission to go for it!


Speaking of grace not perfection, I decided to just make my after Christmas chalkboard one for Valentine's.  I don't do a lot of decorating for Valentine's but I think this will take me into March!





Sharing with:  The Homemaking Party

7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It really is a great book, I bought one for a friend. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I agree, I like the feel of a real book too. I've made a goal to read or reread all of my collection of young adult books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rereading some books is like visiting friends! Anne, I there are certain books I love and I can enjoy again and again!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a sweet and encouraging book! Thanks for sharing your book review and pretty chalkboard with us at the homemaking party. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love library trips. I will definitely need to check out this book and get a few for my friends. Thanks for the review ��

    ReplyDelete